Lighting Service Providers
While building owners may select their own vendor to perform any lighting audits or upgrades, the following is provided as the types of qualifications that owners may want to consider.
Affected Building Owners: Find a Pre-Screened Vendor for Lighting Audits and/or Upgrades
Selecting A Service Provider
Qualifications for Pre-Screened Lighting Service Providers
While building owners may select their own vendor to perform any lighting audits or upgrades, the city has pre-screened a list of vendors that are qualified to provide lighting audits and/or upgrades within the City of Boulder.
Service providers may apply to be included on the Pre-Screened Vendor List within one or more of the following categories: 1. Interior/Exterior Lighting Auditor, 3. Interior Lighting Installer, and 3. Exterior Lighting Installer. Based on their selection, service providers must meet the following qualifications to be included in the Pre-Screened Vendor Lists for Lighting Audits and/or Upgrades:
- Have at least one person employed by the company who possesses ONE of the following certifications (to be included as a Lighting Auditor OR Installer):
- CLEP, Certified Lighting Energy Professional, certification with the Association of Energy Engineers (AEE)
- PE, Licensed Professional Engineer
- LC, Lighting Consultant, certification through the National Council on Qualifications for the Lighting Professions (NCQLP)
- Other credentials based on review and approval.
- At least 5 years of experience performing interior and/or exterior lighting audits (to be included as a Lighting Auditor)
- At least 5 years of experience performing interior and/or exterior LED lighting upgrades and controls installations (to be included as an Interior and/or Exterior Lighting Installer)
- Has completed at least 5 permitted lighting projects within the City of Boulder within the last 5 years (to be included as an Interior Lighting Installer)
- Has successfully completed outdoor lighting installations within the City of Boulder that comply with the city’s Dark Skies requirements (for Exterior Lighting Installer)
- Have successfully completed outdoor lighting audits and/or installations following 2012 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) (to be included as an Exterior Lighting Auditor and/or Installer)
- Have successfully completed interior lighting audits and/or installations following 2017 City of Boulder Energy Conservation Code (COBECC) (to be included as an Interior Lighting Auditor and/or Installer)
Complete the Online City of Boulder Building Performance Ordinance Pre-Screened Lighting Vendor Application
Please be prepared to include all relevant certifications and documentations of project completion as part of your application.
If you have any questions, please contact the Program Administrator, Laurel Mattrey, at [email protected] or 303-441-4227.
Questions When Considering Service Providers
When selecting a service provider, here are questions to ask and things to consider:
- How many interior and/or exterior lighting audits/upgrades have you completed on similar buildings?
- How long have you been interior and/or exterior lighting audits/upgrades on similar buildings?
- How recently have you conducted an interior and/or exterior lighting audit/upgrade?
- Can you provide me with a sample report?
- What types of lighting upgrades do you typically recommend for a building like mine?
- Are you familiar with rebates offered through the local utility and PACE? Will you help me obtain these rebates?
- Ask for references and follow up with them.
- Check the Better Business Bureau for complaints.
Service Providers: Connect with Resources
To be added to the Pre-Screened Vendor list, service providers must successfully complete and submit the required online application (including requested documentation and certifications) and meet minimum qualifications. Please see below for more information on the training and minimum qualifications.