Every ten years, affected building owners must perform retrocommissioning, a process that improves the efficiency of existing building operations by “tuning up” and calibrating existing functional systems to run as efficiently as possible through low- or no-cost improvements.
Owners must implement the cost-effective measures (any measure with a payback period of two years or less with rebates) identified through retrocommissioning within two years of the study.
The scope of the requirements depends on the size of the building as shown below.
|Building Size||RCx Scope|
|Buildings < 50,000 SF||Owners can participate in the Xcel Energy Building Tune-Up Program or meet the scope outlined in the City Manager Rules|
|Buildings ≥ 50,000 SF||Owners can participate in the Xcel Energy RCx Study Program or meet the scope outlined in the City Manager Rules|
- Building owners must use a Qualified Service Provider to complete the retrocommissioning study.
- Review the RCx Checklist to prepare for compliance.
- Submit the final RCx report and a copy of the Xcel Recommissioning/Building Tune-up Rebate Application through the online Submission Form.
- Submit proof of measure installation through the online submission form Coming Soon.
If completing the RCx study through Xcel Energy's Building Tune-up or RCx Study Programs, the program report AND a copy of the Xcel Recommissioning/Building Tune-up Rebate Application will suffice for compliance.
If completing the RCx study through a third-party service provider, a report outline is available for reference.
Cost saving opportunities may be available through participation in Xcel Energy's programs.
- Xcel Energy's Building Tune-Up Program costs $250-$500.*
- Xcel Energy covers up to 75 percent of the study cost through its RCx Study Program if preapproved (up to $25,000).*
There may also be opportunities to realize cost savings through implementing services concurrently (e.g. completing the energy assessment and retrocommissioning study at the same time). Work with your service provider to determine if there are opportunities to capture economies of scale.
*Verify current program status at https://www.xcelenergy.com/programs_and_rebates/business_programs_and_rebates