Marijuana in Boulder
Here's an overview of medical and recreational marijuana laws in Boulder. See Marijuana Businesses for information about medical and recreational marijuana businesses in the city.
- Marijuana is also called “cannabis” because the scientific name for the plant is cannabis sativa.
- There are two categories of marijuana: medical and recreational.
- Recreational marijuana is also called retail marijuana.
- There are different terms used for stores that sell marijuana such as dispensaries, retail centers and wellness centers.
- There are four types of licensed marijuana businesses in Boulder: 1) stores where product is sold 2) grows where marijuana plants are cultivated 3) manufacturing facilities where marijuana is turned into hash oil and/or put into food 4) testing facilities that check THC content and check for harmful bacteria.
- Hemp is also the cannabis sativa plant but with less than .3 percent THC content.
- THC is the psychoactive part of marijuana that causes a “high” sensation.
- Concentrates can be extracted from marijuana and have much higher THC levels.
- Concentrates can be heated and turn into vapor then inhaled or they can be added to food or drinks.
- Some common terms for concentrate are hash, budder, shatter and wax.
- Some of Boulder’s municipal codes are stricter than state laws so check Boulder’s codes before buying, using or growing marijuana.