North Broadway (Violet-US 36) Reconstruction
The North Broadway Reconstruction Project will improve the pavement condition of the street infrastructure and make improvements to the multimodal facilities where possible. Planning and design for the project began in 2016 and will continue into 2019. Construction is planned to start in late 2019 and is anticipated to take 18 months to complete.
Upcoming TAB Meeting
City staff will be briefing the Transportation Advisory Board (TAB) on the project design option at their meeting on Monday, July 8.
June 6, 2019, Open House Meeting
If you were unable to attend the project open house on June 6, you can review the meeting materials below or provide your feedback on the project.
- Project Background
- Area Projects and Related Plans
- Project Decision-Making Process
- Project Preferred Option
- Bike Lane Alternatives
- Project Phasing
- Project Urban Design
- Fourmile Canyon Creek at Broadway Drainageway Improvement
- Fourmile Canyon Creek at Broadway Improvement Rendering
- Fourmile Canyon Creek Future Improvements
About the project and scope of improvements
The roadway pavement on North Broadway is in poor condition and requires reconstruction. This project will provide a more durable pavement that does not require as frequent maintenance and provide a safer and better riding experience for drivers, transit riders and on-street bicyclists.
The project applied for and received a federal grant to reconstruct the pavement in concrete as well as retain and possibly enhance or add pedestrian, bicycle and transit stop facilities and improvements. There is also some funding for street lighting, landscaping and public art.
The initial scope includes:
- Pavement reconstruction in concrete and new curb and gutter
- Improvement to the on-street bicycle facilities
- Installation of a traffic signal at Broadway and Yarmouth Avenue and new or improved traffic signal interconnection and bicycle detection systems
- Pedestrian and transit stop upgrades
- City utility upgrades for storm sewer
- Coordination for future improvements at crossing of Fourmile Canyon Creek
The project budget is $8.3 million, with $6.2 in federal Transportation Improvements Program (TIP) grant funding and $2.1 million in city transportation funds.
This supports the budgeting principles and priorities of the Transportation Master Plan, which makes preserving the existing transportation infrastructure and system a high priority.
Feedback received from the public process will be incorporated into the final project design, where feasible. A summary of input received is included here
Past Meeting & Events
- NoBo Art District First Friday Art Walk, Sept. 1, 2017
- On site, Spruce Confections in north Boulder , Aug. 22, 2017
- On Site, Amante Coffee in north Boulder, Aug. 23, 2017.
- North Boulder Public Works Transportation & Utilities Open House, May 22, 2017.
- If you were unable to attend the open house, the meeting materials are available below:
- North Broadway Reconstruction and Mobility Hub Open House, October, 17, 2016.
Sign up for email updates
The City of Boulder will send you regular email updates about the North Broadway Reconstruction Project.
Email Transportation Planner Noreen Walsh with your comments and questions about this project: 303-441-4301 or [email protected].