North Broadway (Violet-US 36) Reconstruction
The North Broadway Reconstruction Project will improve the pavement condition of the street infrastructure and make improvements to the multimodal facilities where possible. Planning and design for the project began in 2016 and will continue into 2019. Construction is planned to start in late 2019 and is anticipated to take 18 months to complete.
Transportation Advisory Board supports recommendation for raised, buffered bike lanes as part of the reconstruction project
On Aug. 12, 2019, TAB voted to support the updated recommended design for the project, which includes raised/buffered bike lanes and an off-street multiuse path. In addition to pavement reconstruction and additional upgrades, the project is proposed to include:
- Northbound direction: 5-foot-wide bike lane and 2-foot-wide mountable curb with striped buffer from Violet to Lee Hill, except at Fourmile Canyon Creek crossing. Buffered bike lanes north of Lee Hill.
- Southbound direction: Painted 2-foot-wide buffer and 5-foot-wide bike lane, and a 10-foot multi-use path on the west side.
The bicycle facilities will result in approximately $400,000 - 600,000 in costs above the original project budget, which is approximately $8.3 million.
For additional information, please see the TAB memo.
An open house to present the recommended option to the community will be scheduled soon. Once a design option is selected, staff will complete the planning and associated community engagement phase this summer and move into the final engineering phase this fall.
About the Project and Scope of Improvements
The roadway pavement on North Broadway is in poor condition and requires reconstruction. This project will provide a more durable pavement that does not require as frequent maintenance and provide a safer and better riding experience for drivers, transit riders and on-street bicyclists.
The project applied for and received a federal grant to reconstruct the pavement in concrete as well as retain and possibly enhance or add pedestrian, bicycle and transit stop facilities and improvements. There is also some funding for street lighting, landscaping and public art.
The initial scope includes:
- Pavement reconstruction in concrete and new curb and gutter
- Improvement to the on-street bicycle facilities
- Installation of a traffic signal at Broadway and Yarmouth Avenue and new or improved traffic signal interconnection and bicycle detection systems
- Pedestrian and transit stop upgrades
- City utility upgrades for storm sewer
- Coordination for future improvements at crossing of Fourmile Canyon Creek
The project budget is $8.3 million, with $6.2 in federal Transportation Improvements Program (TIP) grant funding and $2.1 million in city transportation funds.
This supports the budgeting principles and priorities of the Transportation Master Plan, which makes preserving the existing transportation infrastructure and system a high priority.
Past Meeting & Events
June 6, 2019, Open House Meeting Materials
Please note that the materials provided below do not include the raised, buffered bike lanes recommended at the Transportation Advisory Board meeting on Aug. 13, 2019.
Provide your feedback on the project.
- Project Background
- Area Projects and Related Plans
- Project Decision-Making Process
- Project Preferred Option
- Bike Lane Alternatives
- Project Phasing
- Project Urban Design
- Fourmile Canyon Creek at Broadway Drainageway Improvement
- Fourmile Canyon Creek at Broadway Improvement Rendering
- Fourmile Canyon Creek Future Improvements
2016 and 2017 Meetings
A summary of input received is included here.
- NoBo Art District First Friday Art Walk, Sept. 1, 2017
- On site, Spruce Confections in north Boulder , Aug. 22, 2017
- On Site, Amante Coffee in north Boulder, Aug. 23, 2017.
- North Boulder Public Works Transportation & Utilities Open House, May 22, 2017.
- If you were unable to attend the open house, the meeting materials are available below:
- North Broadway Reconstruction and Mobility Hub Open House, October, 17, 2016.
Sign up for email updates
The City of Boulder will send you regular email updates about the North Broadway Reconstruction Project.
Email Transportation Planner Noreen Walsh with your comments and questions about this project: 303-441-4301 or [email protected].