North Broadway (Violet-US 36) Reconstruction
The North Broadway Reconstruction Project will provide long-term pavement maintenance and improve safety and comfort for people using all modes of travel through this section of roadway from Violet Avenue to US 36. Planning and design for the project began in 2016 and will continue into 2020. Construction is planned to start in mid/late 2020 and is anticipated to take 18 months to complete.
Transportation Advisory Board supports recommendation for raised, buffered bike lanes as part of the reconstruction project
On Aug. 12, 2019, TAB voted to support the updated recommended design for the project, which includes raised/buffered bike lanes on Broadway from Violet Avenue - Lee Hill Drive, buffered bike lanes from Lee Hill Drive to US 36 and an off-street multiuse path along the west side of Broadway.
An open house to present the final design, construction timeline and anticipated impacts will be scheduled for early 2020
About the Project and Scope of Improvements
The roadway pavement on North Broadway is in poor condition and requires reconstruction. This project will provide a more durable pavement that does not require as frequent maintenance and provide a safer and better riding experience for drivers, transit riders and on-street bicyclists.
The project applied for and received a federal grant to reconstruct the pavement in concrete as well as retain and possibly enhance or add pedestrian, bicycle and transit stop facilities and improvements. There is also some funding for street lighting, landscaping and public art.
The updated scope includes:
- Pavement reconstruction in concrete and new curb and gutter
- Improvement to the on-street bicycle facilities
- Multi-use path on the west side of Broadway from Violet Avenue to US 36
- Installation of a traffic signal at Broadway and Yarmouth Avenue and new or improved traffic signal interconnection and bicycle detection systems
- Pedestrian and transit stop upgrades
- Construction of a new drainageway underpass for the Fourmile Canyon Creek crossing of Broadway
- Reduction of posted speed limits from 35 35 mph to 30 mph from Violet Ave to south of Lee Hill Drive and from 40 mph to 35 mph from south of Lee Hill Drive to US 36.
The project budget is $11.3 million, with $6.2 in federal Transportation Improvements Program (TIP) grant funding and $2.1 million in city transportation funds and $3 million in
This supports the budgeting principles and priorities of the Transportation Master Plan, which makes preserving the existing transportation infrastructure and system a high priority.
Past Meeting & Events
June 6, 2019, Open House Meeting Materials
Please note that the materials provided below do not include the raised, buffered bike lanes recommended at the Transportation Advisory Board meeting on Aug. 13, 2019.
Provide your feedback on the project.
- Project Background
- Area Projects and Related Plans
- Project Decision-Making Process
- Project Preferred Option
- Bike Lane Alternatives
- Project Phasing
- Project Urban Design
- Fourmile Canyon Creek at Broadway Drainageway Improvement
- Fourmile Canyon Creek at Broadway Improvement Rendering
- Fourmile Canyon Creek Future Improvements
2016 and 2017 Meetings
A summary of input received is included here.
- NoBo Art District First Friday Art Walk, Sept. 1, 2017
- On site, Spruce Confections in north Boulder , Aug. 22, 2017
- On Site, Amante Coffee in north Boulder, Aug. 23, 2017.
- North Boulder Public Works Transportation & Utilities Open House, May 22, 2017.
- If you were unable to attend the open house, the meeting materials are available below:
- North Broadway Reconstruction and Mobility Hub Open House, October, 17, 2016.
Sign up for email updates
The City of Boulder will send you regular email updates about the North Broadway Reconstruction Project.
Email Transportation Planner Noreen Walsh with your comments and questions about this project: 303-441-4301 or [email protected].