Rain Barrel's are now legal in Colorado as of August 10, 2016. This House Bill 16-1005, was signed into law by Governor John Hickenlooper on May 12, 2016 and outlines the following key requirements:
- Maximum of two rain barrels with a combined capacity of 110 gallons.
- Permitted on single family or small multifamily (less than 4 units) properties.
- Use sealable lid and screens to help prevent mosquito breeding and address water quality concerns.
- Water collected from roofs can only be used for outdoor purposes.
- Untreated rainwater is not safe to drink. Monthly draining is recommended.
Rain barrels help create a water conservation ethic althought the may not save much. For more ways to save water outdoors: fix broken sprinkler heads; reduce outdoor irrigation when possible and use low-water plants (xeriscape) in landscapes.
For more information review: