Water Resource Recovery Facility Tours
Tours at the City of Boulder's Water Resource Recovery Facility provide information to visitors so they may develop a deeper understanding of the wastewater treatment process.
Tours are free and available Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and are based on operator availability. Two weeks advance notice is requested. Please be sure to review the requirements below under 'General Tour Information.'
Tours can accommodate a minimum of 5 and maximum of 20 visitors per available tour guide.
- Requests for larger groups will need to be approved by management to ensure safety and the group may be split up into smaller groups.
- Single individuals will likely be added to the next available group tour.
- Tour days and times may vary based on staff availability and facility priorities.
- Tours are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Requested dates are not always guaranteed.
- A standard tour may take at least one hour to complete and requires walking throughout the tour.
- A full, in-depth tour may take up to two hours and can include a half-hour presentation, followed by a walking tour. This is based on availability of operators.
- Attire: closed-toe shoes only. Please no heeled shoes, sandals or flip-flops. Dress appropriately for outdoor conditions. You will be touring an industrial site and there is some walking outdoors.
- Tour groups that arrive unprepared or without the required number of chaperones may be denied a tour.
- The City of Boulder adheres to strict ‘no smoking’ and ‘zero waste’ policies. Please, no smoking, littering, eating, or drinking during the tour. Plant staff can advise on local meeting spaces suitable for group lunches before or after the tour.
- Restrooms and drinking fountains are available on-site at the beginning and end of the tour.
- Please do not touch the equipment without permission.
- Staff reserve the right to end a tour at any time. Safety is our first priority.
- Questions are welcome and encouraged!
School Group/ Youth Tours
- The minimum participant age is 9 years-old (fourth grade.)
Chaperones are required for school/ youth group tours with participants who are 18 years of age and younger.
- Grades 4 and 5: 1 chaperone for every 5 students
- Grades 6 through 8: 1 chaperone for every 8 students
- High school: one chaperone for every 10 students
- Chaperones will be expected to manage the participants to ensure optimal safety.
To schedule a tour, please submit the "Tour Request Form" below on the webpage.
If you need additional information, you may contact the Plants Administrative Team: