Important Updates:

The city expands beta to preview its new website and gather feedback. | More Info


The City of Boulder welcomes your feedback. Use our Inquire Boulder customer service tool to tell us what’s on your mind.

  • Boulder Water
  • Your Utility Bill
  • Flood Safety
  • Utilities Projects
  • Wastewater
  • Utilities Division Boards
  • Construction and Travel Impacts

Water Meters

Water meters measure the amount of water used by a residential and commercial customers by the city's public water supply system. 


Locate Your Water Meter

Water meter pits are typically located in the area between the sidewalk and street (called the right-of-way), or 1.5 feet from the sidewalk. The pits are covered by round metal lids marked with a "Water Meter" imprint.

Water Meter Readings

The City of Boulder collects water meter readings from radio transmitters installed in or near the meter pits. City vehicles equipped with mobile data collection systems receive the signals while driving past the meter pits. Each transmission takes 1/30 of a second, with a typical operating range of 500 feet, depending on broadcast signal and location.

Maintain Access to Your Water Meter

Obstacles that may block the radio signals include building materials, foliage and metal objects located between the street and the meter pit. Therefore, it is very important that customers maintain clear access to their water meters from the public right-of-way.

As part of the city code, all city water customers are responsible for the upkeep of the area between their meter pit and the street. Please assist us by trimming foliage and by clearing snow and ice from the lid of the meter pit. Landscaping or fencing should be kept at least 1-3 feet from the meter pit.

Maintain access to your water meter to assist us with:

  • Emergency shutoffs (for frozen pipes) when you are away from home or are unable to turn off the water yourself; and
  • Emergency water meter maintenance.

If you do not maintain access to your water meter pit, it may delay emergency response times and end up costing you (and the city) more money.

Mobile Home Parks and Water Meters

This page aims to identify the roles of mobile home park residents, owners and the city Utility Department to provide clarity on what the city provides to water utility customers and ways they can seek assistance.

The following parks are within the city of Boulder limits and receive their drinking water from the city:

  • Boulder Meadows
  • Mapleton
  • Vista Village
  • Orchard Grove

The following parks are located outside of city limits but receive their drinking water from the city through special agreements:

  • Ponderosa
  • Columbine

Parks not listed are outside of the city and have their own water sources which are regulated by the Boulder County Public Health Department and the Colorado Department of Health and Environment

Each park has one or more water service lines that connect to an adjacent city water main. The piping that delivers water from the property line to individual homes is privately owned and maintained by the park owner. 

The City of Boulder classifies mobile home parks as multifamily residences and bills mobile home park owners monthly. Each park receives a water budget based on indoor and outdoor allocations, such as the number of homes served and the amount of landscaped area. The indoor allocation for each residential dwelling unit is set at 4,000 gallons per month. This allocation is adjusted seasonally to account for varying monthly water requirements. Utility accounts are charged a higher rate for water when they exceed their water budget.

Park owners are responsible for determining how to charge park residents for utilities. Residents are encouraged to refer to their lease for information about utility related charges. The city does not provide metering for individual mobile homes or provide individual bills.

Utility bill information is confidential and can only be shared with the account holder. Residents should contact their park owner with any questions about utility bills.  

Mobile home park owners are responsible for determining how to recover water related costs from tenants through lease terms. The bill the park owner receives from the city will change monthly based on use.

Park residents are encouraged to review their lease or contact their park owner to determine how they are billed for drinking water. If you live in a park where each unit has a water meter read by the owner, you may be able to reduce your bill through more efficient use in your unit.  Information about the city's water conservation program and available services is available on the city's Water Conservation website. In parks where the owner determines costs through other methods, residents may be able to work with park owners to improve efficiency of overall water use in the park to reduce costs.

Residents of parks that are served by City of Boulder water can obtain water quality information at the city's Drinking Water Quality website, sending an email to [email protected]  or calling 303-413-7350. Mobile home parks served by providers other than the city Utilities Department can obtain water quality information through Boulder County Health Water Quality and/or Colorado Department of Health Water Quality.

Mobile home park owners are responsible for repairing any leaks that occur between the city water meter and the individual homes. Homeowners of a mobile home are responsible for finding and repairing leaks within their home. Tips on how to find and fix a leak can be found at the city's Finding and Fixing Links webpage. 

Leaks between the city water meter and outside of individual homes should be reported to the management of the park. If the park owner fails to repair a leak in a timely manner, they may be in violation of city ordinances. Leaks that are not addressed by the park owner in a timely manner should be reported to the city. To report a leak, please call 303-413-3200.

For all other urgent water issues please 303-441-3200 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday-Friday or after hours (you will be automatically re-directed). Please ALWAYS call the listed phone numbers to report a leak and do not report via Inquire Boulder. This system is not designed to manage urgent and emergency service requests and is NOT monitored 24-7. The city will need specific information about the location of the problem and any associated evidence so that it can be quickly investigated.


Contact  [email protected]  or call 303-441-3260 for questions about billing.