The City of Boulder will begin construction of a sanitary sewer project to enhance aging infrastructure and improve capacity along Baseline Road and Thunderbird Road/Court
Baseline Road between 55th Street and Gapter Road will be closed for the first phase of work beginning Jan. 18, 2022, for an estimated 2-3 months. Additional traffic impacts will take place in nearby areas throughout the remainder of the project. Improvements to the sewer line are expected to be completed by June. The project includes replacing 7,300 linear feet of sanitary sewer piping. This project is needed to address aging infrastructure; increase the capacity of the wastewater collection system to help prevent back-ups like those seen during the September 2013 flood; and ensure city utility customers are served in their wastewater needs for years to come.
Throughout this project, community members should expect to experience traffic impacts along Baseline Road and Thunderbird Drive. Please check the city's Cone Zones for current traffic impacts. Message boards will be placed along impacted routes prior to any roadway closures. Traffic impacts will include:
- Full closure of Baseline Road between 55th Street and Gapter Road – emergency and Baseline Road driveway access will be maintained along with access to Countryside Montessori School
- Eastbound lanes of Baseline Road between Foothills Parkway and 55th Street will shift north of the median, reducing east and west travel to one lane each
- Intermittent road closures on Thunderbird Road
- Intermittent road closures on Thunderbird Court
- Intermittent lane closures on Foothills Parkway
Information on detours and delays for RTD Route 225 transit service can be found here.
Some utility customers will experience brief water and sewer service outages to allow construction crews to connect the new sewer line. All impacted customers will receive notification prior to any planned service interruptions.
If you have questions about this project, call 303-441-3200 or visit the project webpage.