Dog licensing in Boulder is managed by DocuPet Inc. Visit their website to license your companion and learn more about their Home Safe ™ System and local Pet Perks Program that are included with your dog license.
- A dog license is required for all dogs over the age of four months, living within the city limits of Boulder.
- A license is required within 30 days of acquisition of a dog, or within 30 days of moving to the city.
- All dogs are required to wear their city license tag on their collar or harness at all times.
Please note that a City of Boulder dog license does not allow your dog to be walked off leash at Open Space and Mountain Parks locations. You must obtain an additional Voice and Sight tag and complete the mandatory training program to gain Voice and Sight Privileges.
Licensing fees help cover the costs of essential animal services including:
- Emergency service all year round
- Feeding, sheltering, and safekeeping of impounded animals
- Supporting the rescue of lost and/or homeless animals
- Supporting medical care for sick or injured dogs or cats
- Public education initiatives in schools and within the community
Frequently Asked Questions
Get in touch with the DocuPet customer service team to update your record by calling 1-855-249-1370 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
DocuPet’s HomeSafe™ System can help. Login to your profile and report your pet lost using the red button. An email will go out to community members letting them know how they can help.
Typically tags are received in the mail 8 to 10 business days after your order is processed. You can login any time and access your profile online.
Order a replacement by logging into your online account and clicking the green “order replacement tags” button or call 1-855-249-1370 to order over the phone.
Purchase a Dog License
To obtain a dog license, your dog must be currently inoculated with a rabies vaccination. The first vaccination is required at the age of four months and needs to be updated every one or three years, depending on the type of vaccination given. Keeping your dog current on their vaccinations prevents the contraction and the spread of various diseases.
First Time Purchasing a Dog License?
If you are registering online you may be asked to upload current rabies vaccination documentation at time of registration.
Note you must have valid rabies documentation on file to license over the phone. If not, DocuPet representatives can help walk you through the online registration process.
- Call 1-855-249-1370
Please download and complete the registration form:
Currently in-person registrations are accepted at the following locations:
- Humane Society of Boulder Valley Veterinary Clinic, 2323 55th Street.
- BY APPOINTMENT ONLY at Boulder Police Department: 1805 33rd Street.
To schedule an appointment please call 303-441-1874.
The police department can accept cash, check or credit card. Please make checks payable to the City of Boulder.
Renewing a City Dog License
- Licensed in the Past? Renew License My Dog Now
- If you are registering online you may be asked to upload current rabies vaccination documentation at time of renewal.
- Images of rabies tags do not count as documentation. Rabies certificates issued by a licensed veterinary clinic are the only accepted form of documentation. Renewals notices are mailed in November. / early December. All tags are calendar year and will expire Dec. 31st.
|Dogs Spayed or Neutered||$15|