The goal of the Boulder City Attorney’s Office is to ensure victims’ rights are preserved and that their voices are heard in a meaningful manner.

If you are a victim of crime, we are here to help you navigate the justice process. Contacting the City Prosecutor’s Office is the best method to obtain information on the specifics of your case, such as whether there will be a trial. Please call us at 303.441.3025 or email

In your email, please include your name, contact information, case number, and the defendant’s name.

Frequently Asked Questions

As a victim, you may speak with a prosecutor, make a written or oral statement to the Court, and receive restitution for certain financial losses. You may also be heard when it is relevant and be informed of all the critical stages of the criminal justice process.

If your case goes to trial, you will be called as a witness in the case, meaning that you will tell your story of events to a judge or jury. If the defendant in your case pleads guilty or is found guilty at trial, you may make an oral or written statement to be considered by the Judge at sentencing.

Plea bargaining is ultimately up to the prosecutor on your case. You may, however, contact the Prosecutor’s office to provide input and ask questions about possible outcomes. You do not have the right to drop charges because that is up to the Prosecutor. For most charges, the maximum penalty is 90 days in jail, a $1,000 fine, or both. The Judge may also order restorative justice and community service.

Victims are entitled to restitution, which is court-ordered payment of money from a defendant to a victim for losses incurred because of the defendant’s actions. More commonly, restitution is ordered for payment of out-of-pocket medical expenses, or the amount of money owed after health insurance coverage. If you do not have health insurance, you may be entitled to restitution for the full amount of your medical bills. Restitution may also be ordered for veterinary bills.

You will receive an email or a letter in the mail on how to request restitution. Please fill out this form completely and attach any medical or veterinary bills to your restitution request. If you are not requesting restitution, please return the form indicating so. You may be required to appear for a restitution hearing. Defendants ordered to pay restitution will pay the Boulder Municipal Court, which will distribute a check to the victim. Please contact the Boulder Municipal Court if your contact information has changed: 303-441-1841.

As a victim, you have the right to request discovery, such as copies of tickets, reports, and police body camera video evidence, if it is available. Email:

In your email, please include your name, your relationship to the case and case number.

Local Resources

Safehouse Progressive Alliance for Nonviolence
24 Hour Crisis Line: 303-444-2424

University of Colorado – Boulder Office of Victim Assistance
Number: 303-492-8855

Boulder Police Department
Emergencies: Call 911
Non-Emergency: 303-441-3333
File a report online: