Who We Are
We are 16 high school students appointed by the City Manager to serve one-year renewable terms. We live in the City of Boulder and represent many aspects of Boulder's youth community including diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Each spring, we encourage current 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th graders who live in the City of Boulder (including most of Gunbarrel) to apply for the next school year.
No previous leadership experience is necessary. New members are invited to join based on the potential for positive contribution to the board’s work and capacity to represent the diversity of Boulder’s youth community.
What We Do
- Promote the youth voice in Boulder
- Plan and run our own meetings
- Advise City Council, city departments, and local agencies on youth-related issues
- Form actions teams to implement community projects to help address youth needs
- Organize the Martin Luther King, Jr. Youth Day of Service
- Acknowledge outstanding youth volunteers in our community
2021-2022 Youth Opportunities Advisory Board Members
- Madelyn Barnes
- Osvaldo García Barrón
- Henry Keig
- Jackson Kirshner
- Marina Griffin
- Daniel Lin
- Ivy Maximon
- Lily Nobel
- Elias Weatherley
- Finley Wheeler
*The 2021-22 YOAB is short of full membership due to recruitment challenges during the pandemic
YOAB holds a monthly meeting on the first Friday of each month.
|November 5, 2021||November 5 YOAB Meeting Notes|
|December 3, 2021||December 3 YOAB Meeting Notes|
|January 7, 2022||January 7 YOAB Meeting Notes|
|February 4, 2022||February 4 YOAB Meeting Notes|
|March 11, 2022||March 11 YOAB Meeting Notes|
|April 1, 2022||April 1 YOAB Meeting Notes|
|May 6, 2022||May 6 YOAB Meeting Notes|
|June 3, 2022|
Apply for YOAB
How it works
The Youth Opportunities Program will be accepting applications for the 2022-2023 Youth Opportunities Advisory Board during the spring of 2022.
City of Boulder youth and youth that attend a City of Boulder high school that are interested in engaging with their peers and the community are encouraged to apply.
- The recruitment process for the 2022-23 YOAB is open! Please download, fill out and return the application and adult recommendation below to Mario Martinez-Varelas by April 18, 2022 at 5 p.m.
Please reach out to Youth Opportunities Program Manager Mario Martinez-Varelas with any questions at 720-498-2482 or MartinezVarelasM@bouldercolorado.gov.