To help improve the opportunities for larger households with dependents to purchase appropriately sized homes, a dependent preference is included in the selection tiers for some homes. This includes all three-bedroom and up homes and some larger two bedroom homes. The selection details for each home listing will indicate if this preference is applicable.
Dependent Preference Criteria
- Households of three or more people that work in Boulder and at least one member is a dependent will have the highest preference category for all permanently affordable homes with the dependent preference designation.
- Within that preference category, the household with the greatest number of dependents will have the highest priority.
- If two or more households have the same number of dependents, the standard work in Boulder/work in Boulder over 1 year/certified-for-a-year preferences will apply.
- Households of two with one dependent will have preference over a household without any dependents no matter the number of people in the non-dependent household.
To be classified as a dependent the person needs to live in the home at least 50% of the year and meet at least one of the following:
- Be under the age of 18;
- Be a full-time student between the ages of 18 to 26; or
- Is dependent on another household member or members to accomplish daily living tasks.
A married spouse, domestic partner, or an unmarried partner (i.e. boyfriend/girlfriend) is not considered a dependent.