After decades of analysis, community engagement, decision-making and negotiation, the city and the University of Colorado Boulder have negotiated a Draft Annexation Agreement for consideration by the City Council later this year. The agreement describes the conditions of annexation for CU South under which the University of Colorado Boulder’s South Campus would fulfill both the desires of the University system and meet the goals of the City of Boulder.
If annexed, the CU South would come under the city's jurisdiction like the other campuses. Utility services also could be extended to the site. Annexation would not mean the city would own the site.
The Draft Annexation Agreement’s proposed terms were guided by the Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan Land Use Designations and Guiding Principles adopted in 2017, direction from advisory boards and City Council over the past several years and community feedback. The CU South Guiding Principles were incorporated into the BVCP in 2017 to guide agreements between the city and university that will specify future uses, services, utilities and planning for CU South.
University master planning for CU Boulder South is several years away. However, significant flooding events in the area have prompted the city to expeditiously pursue a flood mitigation project that requires a portion of the CU South site; that portion of the property only becomes available to the city with annexation of the entire CU South site. As a result, the annexation agreement details certain development standards that control the type and intensity of future development, but not the exact type and location that a traditional site plan would detail. More information about the South Boulder Creek Flood Mitigation Project can be found here.
Community members are encouraged to review the Draft Annexation Agreement and materials and provide feedback and/or attend upcoming events and public hearings.
Meetings & Materials
- The city is anticipating hosting additional listening sessions to ensure community members have the opportunity to provide feedback and ask questions. Dates and times will be forthcoming.
- Thursday, July 22 - Planning Board, Public Hearing, recommendation to City Council. Materials and agenda for the meeting can be found here
- July 14 - Aug. 13, Community members can share feedback on key agreement topics through a BeHeardBoulder questionnaire
- Aug. 3, City Council, first reading
- Sept 7, (Date subject to change) City Council, Public Hearing, second reading
Meeting times are subject to change. Please continue to check the project webpage for the most up-to-date information.
Past Community Engagement
Wednesday, July 14 - Community Briefing and Q&A - The primary focus of this meeting was to provide an update on the status of the CU South Annexation Project focusing on new information and introduce the Agreement Terms. A video of the event can be found here.
We appreciate the feedback received during the recent engagement window for the CU South Annexation Project.
- View a summary of the feedback here.
- View a report of the responses to our recent questionnaire here.
Read the public comments about the project Public Comments through Dec. 17, 2020.