Bulk Water

The City of Boulder permits two private water companies access to its public taps. Community members who are not City of Boulder water customers can contact these companies to discuss their water needs:

Mile Hi

Mountain View Water

Several other private water companies also provide service in the area, and community members are welcome to work with the company that best meets their water needs.

Hydrant Meters

City hydrant meters are also available for contractor license holders to rent for temporary water use, and require a deposit and a monthly service charge.

Get Hydrant Meter Services

Obtain a permit

Individuals who wish to use a fire hydrant meter to purchase bulk water from the City of Boulder must first obtain a permit and pay the deposit.

Schedule an appointment

  • Service for hydrant meters will be by appointment only.
  • Appointments are from 7am - 10am.
  • Please call 303-441-3077 or email hydrantmeters@bouldercolorado.gov to schedule a time for service, pick up/drop off.
  • The City of Boulder Municipal Services Center’s Material Supply area is closing. Parts will be sold by appointment to ensure staff are available to help the customer.

Other requirements

  • Permit holders must have a current Right of Way or Contractor's License to install or remove a hydrant meter.
  • If no proof of license is provided, city meter technicians must be scheduled to install and remove hydrant meters and service fees will be charged.

Permit expiration

  • Permits are active and effective for one year and may be renewed up to 90 days prior to expiration.
  • Meters must be returned every 6 months to the Municipal Service Center for recalibration.

Meter readings

  • Self-reported hydrant meter readings shall be provided to the city no later than the 10th day of the following month for billing purposes.
  • Pictures of the hydrant meter dial must be sent to hydrantmeters@bouldercolorado.gov via email. The city may request verification of meter readings in its sole discretion.
  • A list of the conditions and restrictions will be included on your copy of the application.

Get a Construction Meter / Hydrant Meter

Hydrant Meter rental

The city has temporary water meters available in order to obtain water service for construction projects within the city's water system.

  1. Pickup

    To rent a temporary meter, come to the Municipal Service Center at 5050 Pearl St. between 7 a.m. and 3 p.m., Monday-Friday.

  2. Deposit

    A $3,600 deposit is required and all deposits and other payments must be made with either check or money order. The water usage is billed upon return of the meter at a rate of $10 per 1,000 gallons.

  3. Service fees
    • Water is billed at $10.00/1,000 gallons at 1,000-gallon increments.
    • There is a monthly fee for water service at the current 2024 rate of $189.32 per city code (4-20-25, B.R.C.).
    • Hydrant Meter installation/reset: $67
    • Hydrant Meter removal: $81
    • Replacement permits: $10 processing fee
  4. Contact

    For more information, contact Public Works at 303-441-3200.

Hydrant Meter return

Return the meter to the Municipal Service Center at 5050 Pearl St. between 7 a.m. and 3 p.m., Monday-Friday once your project is complete.

Billing & Fee Information

The permit holder shall pay a deposit of $3,600 per hydrant meter, refundable if the meter is returned in substantially the same condition of its issue within six months, and the permit holder has complied with all terms, conditions, and restrictions of the permit.

Deposit is required at the time of application. Payment will be accepted by check only. The deposit will be returned with any costs for damages and unpaid bills deducted. The value of unreturned items will be deducted from the deposit at the actual replacement cost plus 15%. Failure to return any or all of the permit-related items may result in fines in addition to the deposit forfeiture. The permit holder understands that the hydrant assembly and its appurtenances remain the property of the City of Boulder.

If unpaid invoices exceed the amount of the deposit, the customer will be invoiced for any outstanding amounts. If invoices go unpaid for more than 60 days, the city may reclaim the meter and revoke the right-of-way permit