Funds generated by the Solar Rebate Ordinance are used to provide grants for the installation of solar systems (photovoltaic and thermal) on the following buildings within the City of Boulder:
- Facilities of nonprofit entities operating within the building on which the solar system is installed (“site-based”);
- City-owned facilities leased and occupied by nonprofit organizations;
- Low-to-moderate income housing owned or built by nonprofit organizations; and
- Individual housing units owned and occupied by low-to-moderate income-qualified residents.
Solar grants are subject to funding availability.
Please consult the IRS or a tax professional regarding potential tax consequences for grant recipients.
Owners of individual housing units in the City of Boulder must be income-qualified, determined by the following maximum income levels:
|Household Members||1 Person||2 People||3 People||4 People||5 People|
|Maximum Gross Income||$64,535||$73,755||$82,975||$92,115||$99,535|
City of Boulder residential solar grants are offered on a rolling, first-come, first-served basis to income-qualified homeowners while funding is available according to the following structure:
$1 per watt based on system capacity
Limited to 50% of total project costs after other incentives are applied
$8,000 maximum cap
City of Boulder residential solar grants are available through the city's EnergySmart partners, and enrollment in EnergySmart in addition to income qualification is required to participate.
Please click here to enroll and begin the qualification process.
Once enrolled in EnergySmart, please be prepared to complete an income qualification application which requires uploading the following documents for each employed household member:
- Copies of the two most recent federal tax returns
- IRS Form 1040, only the page(s) reflecting the applicant's name, address and total gross income (net income if self-employed)
Copies of two months of the most recent pay stubs or other evidence of monthly income
City of Boulder nonprofit organization solar grants are available as one of three offerings through Partners for a Clean Environment (PACE).
Please visit PACE's Energy Efficiency Rebates & Incentives page for details and to apply.