Join the 2023 BPD Youth Academy!
Are you between the ages of 14 and 18 and interested in learning more about public safety here in Boulder?
Join us for the return of our Boulder Police Youth Academy from June 26-30, 2023!
During this weeklong academy, you’ll get a behind the scenes look at the different teams that make up BPD and the Boulder DA's Office, 20th Judicial District - DA Michael Dougherty. That includes tours of both places, learning about the court process, demonstrations from Detectives, our Bomb Squad, SWAT, and Dispatch! You’ll also learn about BPD’s history, crime scene investigation, Traffic, and more!
To attend, you need to be at least 14 years old or turning 14 this summer and you must submit a written page about why you want to be a part of the academy/learn more about police. Please include your date of birth or a copy of your driver’s license photo.
Please submit that to Sergeant Aaron Brunn at BrunnA@bouldercolorado.gov by June 13.
We have a limited number of seats available and the academy fills up quickly. It will run from 8am to 4pm Monday through Thursday. That Friday will be a half day, running from 8am to 12pm. Lunch will not be provided so you will need to bring your own except for Friday when we will provide lunch. The academy starts the last week of June 26 through 30.
We look forward to meeting you and helping you get to know your Boulder Police Department!
In the BPD Youth Academy, some of the things you will learn include:
- Tour of the Boulder Police Department
- Processing staged crime scenes, which will involve interviewing “witnesses,” “victims” and suspects; as well as taking photos and collecting evidence.
- Bomb technicians will demonstrate the bomb robots and discuss how the team approaches hazardous scenes.
- Demonstrations by the SWAT team.
- Presentations by the Detective Section.
- Dispatchers will discuss how they handle thousands of calls in our Communication Center.
- Demonstrations by traffic officers on the use of radar and LIDAR guns.
- The Boulder County District Attorney’s Office will discuss the court process, testifying and provide a tour of the Boulder County Justice Center.