We maintain a list of products that must be purchased as recycled content, and which may not be bought in virgin form; it's called our "procurement requirements" and can be found to the right.
If the service or good you're buying isn't restricted to that list, you should consider the following:
- Make vendors aware of our environmental values. One way you can do this is to make sure all bid documents have information about the City's environmental goals, as well as our hope to use more recycled and environmentally preferable products. Doing so may encourage vendors to offer products or services that align with those goals.
- Purchasing agents have the following options:
- Accept a bid which is not the lowest if a) the lowest bid is for a non-recycled product and b) a recycled content product meets the performance criteria specified, or c) a bid other than the lowest bid meets the criteria for environmentally preferable products or services or d) a cost analysis conducted over the life and disposal of the product reveals lower total costs than are reflected in short-term analysis.
- Award a portion of the contract to bidders offering recycled content or environmentally preferable products.
- Unless otherwise specified, bidders and contractors should use recycled paper and double sided copying for the production of all printed and photocopied documents related to the fulfillment of City contracts and shall otherwise fully comply with the provisions of this policy.