The city partners with Resource Central to offer community members water conservation opportunities to help manage outdoor water use, programs include:
- Resource Central's Slow the Flow landscape irrigation audits: Irrigation audits are designed to help identify water waste and provide feedback on how to optimize outdoor irrigation equipment. Resource Central’s irrigation audits are offered free of charge to City of Boulder customers, while supplies last.
- Resource Central’s Lawn Replacement Program: The program helps community members replace at least 200 square feet of turf with water-wise gardens. Beautify your yard, conserve water and save money on your water bill. The city has received funds through HB-1151 to support additional lawn replacement within the community. The City of Boulder offers up to $500 of discounts towards your landscape conversion while supplies last.
- Resource Central’s Waterwise Yard Seminars: Learn more about conserving water through waterwise yards and get your landscaping questions answered at these free, online seminars.
- Resource Central’s Garden-in-a-Box program: The program offers professionally designed, waterwise, perennial garden kits tailor-made for Colorado yards.
Are you unsure if you want to convert your lawn to a waterwise landscape? Get inspired by others waterwise landscape designs and stories:
- Waterwise Landscape Yards: Resource Central has developed an inspiration hub for neighbors to share their waterwise landscape design and concepts. Browse other community members’ garden designs and stories, or share your waterwise project for others!
- Colorado Stormwater Center Rain Garden Layouts: The Colorado Stormwater Center has nine rain garden planting designs. Browse there collection of gardens to see if any design would work for your lawn!
- Did you know the City of Boulder has three waterwise demonstration gardens? They are located at the East Boulder Recreation Center, North Boulder Recreation Center, and Emma Gomez Park. Visit one of those gardens to see various pollinator plants in action!
Northern Water, a regional water supplier who provides Boulder with approximately 1/3 of our annual water supply, provides grant opportunities for large turf replacement projects. For more information on applying, visit Northern's Grant opportunities website.