There are regulations regarding the size, number, type and locations of signs that can be displayed on a building. Some types of signs are not allowed under the code. Select the "Boulder Revised Code: Chapter 9-9-21: Signs" link for more information.
Signs That Cannot be Displayed
- Any sign installed without a permit
- Signs in the right of way, including a-frame sandwich board signs
- Signs more than 25 feet in height or signs on a roof
- Certain types of window signs
- Signs that move, twinkle, rotate, pulsate or appear to have motion.
- Strings of lights
- Off-premises signs
- Unsafe signs
- Wind signs, with one exception. A banner is considered a wind sign. A person can obtain a no-fee permit for a banner that can be displayed for 30 days during the first year of operation of a business for any reason. The maximum size of this banner is 50 square feet.