The city’s Community Vitality Department is working with the Small Business Development Center (SBDC), Boulder Chamber, Boulder Convention & Visitors Bureau, Downtown Boulder Partnership, Latino Chamber of Boulder County, Boulder County and other partner organizations to appreciate, anticipate and appropriately respond to short- and long-term business needs.
Boulder Business Recovery & Curbside Pick-Up Zone Programs
As part of its efforts to support local businesses recovering from the COVID-19 pandemic, the City of Boulder is offering the Boulder Business Recovery Program and the Curbside Pick-Up Zone program, through Oct. 31, 2021. The program converts some existing loading zones and other parking spaces in downtown Boulder and on University Hill for general curbside pick-up use. The program also provides an online application for new curbside pick-up zones for businesses that are not in the vicinity of an existing zone. These curbside pick-up zones will be free of charge for 10 minutes to provide patrons and services enough time to pick-up orders, and will be clearly signed in English and Spanish.
Federal and State Resources
Sector-by-Sector guidance for businesses from the State of Colorado: guidance-by-sector.
The Energize Colorado Gap Fund provided more than $25 million in small business grants to more than 2,000 Colorado small businesses impacted by COVID-19. All grants have been distributed at this time and loans will be distributed in early 2021. The Gap Fund is currently fundraising for a third round of small business assistance in 2021.
- Available Federal Grants and Loans - information including FAQs and links to applications for SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDL), Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), SBA Express Bridge Loans, Small Business Debt Relief Program, and additional debt relief
- Boulder Small Business Development Center (SBDC) - information and assistance including webinars on a wide range of business topics, connections to funding and other resources, and one-on-one consulting
- Small Business Administration (SBA) Guidance and Loan Resources - information on federal CARES Act
- State of Colorado COVID-19 Business Resource Center - information on state and federal assistance programs for small businesses
- Infographic Comparison of Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDL) and Payroll Protection Program (PPP) Loans
- Colorado Work-Share Program and other alternatives to layoffs
- Resources for Artists and Cultural Nonprofits, Colorado Creative Industries
- Federal programs specific to the arts sector
- The City of Boulder Office of Arts and Culture newsletter is now featuring weekly updates of resources and opportunities.
- Free weekly webinars: Keeping Your Business Together in a Crisis - Recorded session topics include Financial Health, Defensive Marketing, The Big Picture, Alternative Funding, Commercial Lease Tactics & Negotiation Strategies, Opening Again, Spending Your PPP Money, Discovering Opportunities with Government Contracting and many more.
- Boulder Chamber – COVID-19 Business and Community Resources
- City of Boulder Small Business Grant Program approved 201 grants totaling more than $675,000; applicants notified in October. The city dedicated part of its federal CARES Act funding to create a $675,000 competitive grant opportunity for small, local businesses and nonprofits as they continue to navigate the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. The program was open to Boulder-based businesses and nonprofits with 100 or fewer employees that met other eligibility criteria. Grant applications were accepted from Aug. 31 to Sept. 11 and applicants were notified of the status of their application in early October.
- Boulder SBDC – answers to questions about impacts of COVID-19 and resources that may help including SBA low-interest loans and others
- Downtown Boulder Partnership - #Love the Local
- Latino Chamber of Boulder County – COVID-19 Local Information and Resources
- City of Boulder – Small Business Support
- 2021 COVID-19 Paycheck Protection Program Lending List
Operating Safely and Supporting Social Distance Guidelines
- COVID-19 information and guidance for businesses - Boulder County
- Public Health Guidance for Businesses and Community - Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment
- Guidance for Businesses and Employers - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Resources for Retail Food Establishments - Boulder County
- Construction Worksite Safety guidelines
- Construction Worksite Safety guidelines for developers PDF
- For many resources for individuals and families, please visit the tab at the top of this page, called "Resources," under the Coronavirus image block. The City of Boulder is carefully tracking the needs of our community members relating to impacts from the COVID-19 coronavirus. This work is occurring in close coordination with Boulder County and the many community partners that provide services meeting the basic needs of the community. The link below, "COVID-19 Basic Needs Services Guide," is a summary of programs provided by the City of Boulder, Boulder County and key community partner agencies. Note that the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Department has determined that the use of COVID-19 public resources will not be counted against immigrants who are subject to “public charge” grounds of inadmissibility when applying for Green Cards.
- Access the COVID-19 Basic Needs Services Guide. Updated 5/4/2020
- Access to temporary job opportunities - Connecting Colorado webpage.
- OnwardCO: One-stop resource for the people of Colorado impacted by job loss during the COVID-19 pandemic