Information about Itinerant Merchant (Door to Door Sales) Licenses
How to apply for an Itinerant Merchant (Door to Door Sales) license and process checklist
Itinerant Merchant License Application Overview
- An Itinerant Merchant license application must be completely filled out and signed, including: i) applicant business name, ii) legal name, home address, and birth date of all owners, officers, managers and members, and iii) local address and local phone numbers. The application will be routed to Sales Tax to review business license status and for tax remittance history and Boulder Police Department to conduct background check research on all submitted persons
who will go door to door.
- A sales tax deposit in the amount of $500 (business check only)
must be submitted. For questions, contact Sales Tax at firstname.lastname@example.org
- An application must be received at least two weeks prior to beginning sales. A late fee of $200.00 will be charged for all applications that are submitted after the deadline.
Application Process Updates
- Pursuant to changes made to Boulder Revised Code in October of 2021 for the annual license renewals or initial applications for Itinerant Merchant Licenses, beginning with the 2022 renewal or application cycle, all licenses will be issued with a staggered license term so that licenses are staggered for even and odd year expiration dates.
- License expiration dates will be determined based on the Trade Name of your business. Itinerant Merchant licenses will now expire on December 31st.
- Businesses with a Trade Name from A-M will be issued with a one-year license fee due at the time of application. These businesses will continue to be renewed on even years.
- Businesses with a Trade Name from N-A will be issued with a two-year license fee. These businesses will continue to be renewed on odd years.
- Background check fee invoices will remain the same.
How to Apply for an Itinerant Merchant (Door to Door Sales) License
Register for a City of Boulder Customer Self Service Portal Account
Apply & Pay Online
Submit completed application and payment online through the City of Boulder Customer Self-Service Portal.
The Regulatory Licensing Division holds virtual application clinics every Wednesday morning, which you may attend via call in to ask questions
10:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. for Miscellaneous license application questions
Call: 720-593-3714 and enter conf ID: 308 350 846#
Microsoft Teams meeting
Join on your computer or mobile app
Or call in (audio only)
+1 720-593-3714,,308350846# United States, Denver
Phone Conference ID: 308350846#