Medical Marijuana Businesses Overview
- Our Boulder Revised Code states that persons or locations with over six plants or 2 ounces of product become a business under our local code and each business in our city limits must have a valid and compliant city Medical Marijuana Business (MMB) license, along with a state license from the State Medical Marijuana Enforcement Division, to legally operate in the City of Boulder.
- The Medical Marijuana Business (MMB) ordinance can be found in Boulder Revised Code Chapter 6-14
Conversion and Co-location Application Process
In accordance with Boulder Revised Code Chapter 6-14, Medical Marijuana Business (MMB) owners who are currently compliant are able to file 100 percent conversions, and co-location applications, whether via physical separation or virtual separation, of both MMB and RMB in their current business licensed footprint.
Those MMB businesses which were compliant and open on Oct. 22, 2013 are eligible for 100 percent conversions to RMB licenses.
MMBs in mixed use development locations with residential units open as of Oct. 22, 2013 are not eligible for the license conversion or co-location processing.
A person may only hold an ownership percentage interest in up to 3 RMB dispensaries or MMB wellness centers, whether single use or dual use, and there is no limit in the number of licenses which a person may hold an interest in for MIP licenses for MMB/RMB products or Grow locations for either MMB or RMB Greenhouses.
An additional city excise tax of 5 percent was approved by vote for RMB Grow locations and an added city 3.5 percent sales and use tax was approved by vote for RMB dispensary, MIP, and Testing locations. Payment of this city tax will be required for continued RMB license compliance.
A pre-scheduled, in-person filing appointment is required for filing of conversion or co-location applications. Necessary documents are included separately here in the links to the right. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
MMB New Applications, License Maintenance, and Annual Renewals
For New MMB applications, Transfer applications, and Change of Locations applications, an in-person intake meeting is required with Licensing staff.
For MMB Business Entity/Trade Name, City Keyholder, Stock/Share sales and Renewal filings, the applications, attachments, and fees can be mailed in.
License maintenance applications, such as ownership changes or officer changes, must be filed at least 30 days prior to the effective date of the proposed change.
Minor modifications for premise modifications may be proceeded with as soon as the complete application is filed with City Licensing.
Major modifications for premise modifications must be inspected and approved by the city before the modification space may be used for business purposes.
City keyholder changes should be filed 30 days prior to the proposed new person acting as a keyholder, unless a complete application and fees is submitted to the city, which also includes a copy of the new person’s state key badge.
MMB License renewals must be filed at least 45 days prior to the license expiration date or a substantial city late fee is required.
How to Apply for a Medical Marijuana Business License
Complete Application Packet
Locate the requested Medical Marijuana Business (MMB) Application Packet in the Medical Marijuana Business Application Documents section below.
Please note that specific instructions for each application type will be located within the packets.
Apply & Pay Online
The method for applying and paying online is unique to the type of application. See the options below.
As of September 1, 2021, the City of Boulder's process to receive city keyholder information from marijuana licensed businesses will change as follows
- The marijuana business owner (not the new keyholder) will fully complete the new city keyholder application packet. No fees will be required.
- The marijuana business owner (not the new keyholder) will email the completed application in pdf format to the main Licensing email address of: LicensingOnline@bouldercolorado.gov
- City Licensing staff will receive the email attachment and will attach that page in any level of completeness to the applicable city marijuana license entry
- City Licensing staff will only detail review city keyholder list at the time of city license renewal, and at the time of renewal, we will delete all city keyholders from our records who are not listed on the page submitted with the city renewal.
New, Transfer, Major Modification
Please request a secure folder to upload your application by filling out this form: https://tinyurl.com/cobapplication
Once submit, an invoice will be created and able to pay online using the Customer Self Service Portal.
The Regulatory Licensing Division holds virtual application clinics every Wednesday morning, which you may attend via call in to ask questions;
10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. for Marijuana license application questions
Call: 720-593-3714 and enter conf ID: 564 139 518#
Microsoft Teams meeting
Join on your computer or mobile app
Or call in (audio only)
+1 720-593-3714,,564139518# United States, Denver
Phone Conference ID: 564 139 518#