Information about City of Boulder Secondhand Dealer and Pawnbroker Licenses
How to apply for an Secondhand Dealer and Pawnbroker license and process checklist
- A Secondhand Dealer and Pawnbroker License application must be completely filled out and signed, including: i) all owners, officers, members, and managers legal name, and birth dates, ii) business email address, and iii) legal name, and birth dates of all employees and store managers who will complete the Police pawn books on used goods. The application will be routed to Sales Tax for business license status and tax remittance research, to Boulder Police for background check research, and to Building Officials for zoning and location spot checks.
- An application must be received at least two weeks prior to beginning sales. A late fee of $200.00 will be charged for all applications that are submitted after the deadline.
- Please Note: For each of the above licenses, background checks will be conducted for all business owners, store managers, and employees who will complete the Boulder Police Department pawn books on goods received. Information on record keeping required of the licensee by the Boulder Police Department is available at BPD Records.
Application Process Update
- Pursuant to changes made to Boulder Revised Code in October of 2021 for the annual license renewals or initial applications for Secondhand Dealer and Pawnbroker Licenses, beginning with the 2022 renewal or application cycle, all licenses will be issued with a staggered license term so that licenses are staggered for even and odd year expiration dates.
- License expiration dates will be determined based on the Trade Name of your business.
- Businesses with a Trade Name from A-M will be issued through 12/31 with a one-year license fee due at the time of application. These businesses will continue to be renewed on even years.
- Businesses with a Trade Name from N-A will be issued through 12/31 with a two-year license fee. These businesses will continue to be renewed on odd years.
- Background check fee invoices will remain the same.
Application Requirements Update
- Pursuant to changes made to the Boulder Revised Code in October of 2021 for Pawnbroker and Secondhand Dealer licenses, City Council approved Ordinance No. 8504 to require electronic submittal of used goods information by secondhand dealers and uniform holding periods and monetary minimums consistent with statewide practices, as well as updates to definitions.
- City Licensing and the Boulder Police Department encourage you to read the linked ordinance with the sections for Pawnbroker and Secondhand Dealer’s to become familiar with the changes that are required for your business.
- Some of the important sections of note in the ordinance that have been changed or added to the B.R.C. for Pawnbroker and Secondhand Dealer businesses are: 4-17-2. - Definitions; 4-17-7. - Record of Goods Purchased, Consigned or Pledged; 4-17-10. - Holding Period
How to Apply for an Secondhand Dealer and Pawnbroker License
Register for a City of Boulder Customer Self Service Portal Account
Apply & Pay Online
Submit completed application and payment online through the City of Boulder Customer Self-Service Portal.
The Regulatory Licensing Division holds virtual application clinics every Wednesday morning, which you may attend via call in to ask questions
10:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. for Miscellaneous license application questions
Call: 720-593-3714 and enter conf ID: 308 350 846#
Microsoft Teams meeting
Join on your computer or mobile app
Or call in (audio only)
+1 720-593-3714,,308350846# United States, Denver
Phone Conference ID: 308350846#