Sales and Use Tax
It's quick and easy to pay sales and use taxes online using the city's new payment portal system.
Online Payment Instructions
- Please review our Sales Tax Online Filing Instructions and Multiple Tax Type Payment Instructions
- You MUST enter zeros in front of your account number to equal a total of six digits in order for your account to be found and added to your profile.
- Your location must be typed exactly as it is written on your business license without city, state or zip code.
If you are still experiencing difficulty related to online filing or other sales tax issues, please email us at: [email protected]. Please call 303-441-3050 for general tax topics information or to speak directly to a sales tax staff member.
Sales Tax FAQs
Our main purpose is to provide customer service in order to assist the Boulder taxpaying community with sales, use and various other tax reporting requirements required by Chapters 3-1 through 3-7 of the Boulder Revised Code (B.R.C, 1981). The division provides business licensing services and collects and accounts for a variety of tax revenues.
Key Functions of the Sales & Use Tax Division include:
- Collection of sales, use and other taxes; provide tax return preparation and business licensing assistance; process and account for tax returns filed.
- Provide construction use tax reconciliation return filing support; process and review tax returns.
- Tax collection and delinquent filing processes - contact delinquent taxpayers and work with them to bring the accounts into compliance.
- Conduct tax audits - the division has an active audit program designed to educate taxpayers in order to improve reporting compliance and to recover unpaid tax revenue.
- Conduct new business reviews - an educational opportunity between the taxpayer and the City to educate and assist businesses in understanding tax reporting requirements they may not be familiar with and to answer tax related questions.
- Provide information - answer various tax related reporting and licensing questions from taxpayers.
- Provide information regarding the sales and use tax portion of the Boulder municipal code.
The City of Boulder Revised Code requires that all types of businesses in Boulder be licensed and approved by the City before operating. If a business has more than one location in the city, each location needs a separate license.
Regardless of the filing frequency, tax returns are due by the 20th of the month following the period collected. A zero return must be filed to satisfy the filing requirement even when there is no tax due. If the return is not filed, or filed after the due date, penalty and interest will accrue. Please note the City of Boulder does not accept postmark date as proof of timely filing.
Filing frequency is determined by average tax due. Please notify us via email if the business needs a filing frequency change.
|If average tax due is:||Filing Frequency:|
|$300 or more per month||File Monthly|
|$15-$300 per month||File Quarterly|
|$15 or less per month||File Annually|
Sales tax should be charged on all retail sales of tangible personal property, rentals, and leases of equipment. Some services such as cable TV, telephone, maintenance contracts, gas and electric are also taxable.
Use tax information can be found here: TR 43: Use Tax.
To amend a Sales & Use Tax Return, please send an email with a copy of the correct tax return to: [email protected]
Please contact the Sales Tax Division to request a copy of a tax return.