Information about City of Boulder Mobile Food Vehicles Licenses

Learn how to apply for a Mobile Food Vehicles license and process checklist.

Information about Mobile Vending Carts, as distinct from Mobile Food Vehicles, is available on the Mobile Vending Carts page.

Mobile Food Vehicles (MFV) Overview

  • On April 26, 2011, Boulder City Council passed an ordinance allowing mobile food vehicles, under certain conditions, in some areas of the City of Boulder. As of June 1, 2011, in order to legally operate a mobile food vehicle, you must obtain a mobile food vehicle license from the City of Boulder.
  • Please see the main BRC section on MFVs (and any other related sections) to understand how it affects MFV businesses: BRC 9-6-5(d).
  • The licensing process takes approximately 4 weeks, from application submission to license issuance. MFV licenses are valid until March 1st of the applicable year.
  • In order to obtain a license, the city of Boulder requires all vending trucks, canteens, or food service vehicles which utilize fuel for cooking to be inspected and permitted by the fire safety division. Please use the Fire-Rescue checklist and application when applying for a MFV license.
  • The MFV process for parks is currently under review. For information about MFVs in city parks, please contact Rosa Wright at
  • Current Licensed Mobile Food Vehicles (PDF)

How to Apply for a Mobile Food Vehicle License

Register for a City of Boulder Customer Self Service Portal Account

Mobile Food Vehicle License Application

Apply & Pay Online

Submit completed application and payment online through the City of Boulder Customer Self-Service Portal.

View PDF application and payment instructions

*NOTE* During the application process the system will ask for a premise address. If your address is not in the City of Boulder, please use the following address: 1136 Alpine

Have Questions?

The Regulatory Licensing Division holds virtual application clinics every Wednesday morning from 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m., which you may attend virtually to ask miscellaneous license application questions: