Mobile Food Vehicles (MFV) Overview
- The deadline for a Mobile Food Vehicle to obtain a license in order to be a vendor for Boulder Creek Fest is Friday, May 13, 2022.
- On April 26, 2011, Boulder City Council passed an ordinance allowing mobile food vehicles, under certain conditions, in some areas of the City of Boulder. As of June 1, 2011, in order to legally operate a mobile food vehicle, you must apply for and receive a mobile food vehicle license from the City of Boulder licensing division. Both the licensing and sales tax areas will review and process applications for mobile food vehicles (MFVs).
- Please see the main BRC section on Mobile Food Vehicles (and any other related sections) to understand how it affects your business: BRC 9-6-6 (d).
- We expect the MFV licensing process to take approximately 4 weeks, from application filing to license issuance. MFV licenses will be valid until March 1st of the applicable year.
In order to get a license, the city of Boulder requires all vending trucks, canteens or food service vehicles which utilize fuel for cooking to be inspected and permitted by the fire safety division. Please use the Fire-Rescue checklist and application when applying for your license.
Application Process Update
- Pursuant to changes made to Boulder Revised Code in October of 2021 for the annual license renewals or initial applications for Mobile Food Vehicle Licenses, beginning with the 2022 renewal or application cycle, all licenses will be issued with a staggered license term so that licenses are staggered for even and odd year expiration dates.
- License expiration dates will be determined based on the Trade Name of your business.
- Businesses with a Trade Name from A-M will be issued through 3/1/2024 with a two-year license fee. The first-year license fee is due at the time of application, with the second-year license fee being billed and payable by 7/1/2022. These businesses will continue to be renewed on even years.
- Businesses with a Trade Name from N-A will be issued through 3/1/2023 with a one-year license fee due at the time of application. These businesses will continue to be renewed on odd years.
How to Apply for a Mobile Food Vehicle License
Apply & Pay Online
Submit completed application and payment online through the City of Boulder Customer Self-Service Portal.
*NOTE* During the application process the system will ask for a premise address. If your address is not in the City of Boulder, please use the following: 1136 Alpine
The Regulatory Licensing Division holds virtual application clinics every Wednesday morning, which you may attend via call in to ask questions
10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. for Miscellaneous license application questions
Call: 720-593-3714 and enter conf ID: 308 350 846#
Microsoft Teams meeting
Join on your computer or mobile app
Or call in (audio only)
+1 720-593-3714,,308350846# United States, Denver
Phone Conference ID: 308350846#