Picnics at the Boulder Reservoir
We'll do the set-up, you just arrive and enjoy!
The Boulder Reservoir is a beautiful setting for a summer party. You may reserve picnic areas from May through September. We have several locations available for rent. Boulder Reservoir Map
Picnic reservations are accepted for private parties only. Ice and charcoal are NOT included with your picnic rental. If the gathering is open to the public and/or admission fees will be assessed by the organizer, please use the citywide special event application process.
Please submit your rental reservation request no less than 2 weeks prior to the date you would like. Small groups of under 10 who are looking to use public space without canopy set-up may do so without a reservation.
How to Reserve an Area
Choose your site
Look at the Boulder Reservoir interactive park map and site photos and descriptions.
Choose your picnic package
Look at picnic package options PDF and select the one that's right for your group size and activities.
Submit the request form
You will receive an email confirmation and contract within one week after you submit the form. Payment and deposit are due once contract is received. Reservation is considered tentative while we wait for your signature and payment.
Return the rental contract by email or mail
Please also submit full payment for package and deposit. Once you have a receipt, your rental is considered final.
- The cost of the picnic is based on the package of amenities PDF you need.
- Rental boats can be arranged through Rocky Mountain Paddleboard.
Picnic site reservations do NOT include admission fees for guests, however a discount applies when a site is rented.
Admission fees with picnic reservation
- Individual $5
- Car Load $10
Picnic organizers may use one of the following methods to pay gate fees. (Please indicate your choice on the application):
- Head count – The reservoir gate personnel will maintain a count of people entering the park for your event. Head count fees will be deducted from the deposit.
- Individual – Individuals with your party pay the discount fee upon notifying front gate personnel which party/function they are attending.
- Amplified sound is allowed, but must be stopped from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m., at discretion of park management. Amplified sound is not allowed at the Dream Cove site.
- Glass is not allowed in the park.
- Alcohol is allowed, no permit necessary.
- The picnic organizer is responsible to make sure the site is left in the condition it was found; remove personal belongings and trash/recycling in the receptacles.
- Dogs are prohibited in the park May 15 through Labor Day. If your guests arrive with a dog, they will be asked to take the dog home during this timeframe.
- The park gates close at 9 p.m. Memorial Day through Labor Day and all patrons must exit the park by that time. Please check the gate schedule for gate closing times outside of these dates.
- Swimming are only available Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day. A separate swim reservation is required for groups over 10.
- Boat rentals are done through Rocky Mountain Paddleboard.
Fees can be paid by credit card, cash, or check. Online payment preferred. Checks payable to City of Boulder.
Payment and forms may be mailed to:
5565 N 51st St.
Attn: Special Events
Boulder, CO 80301