Planning & Development Services Online Center
The City of Boulder is committed to its core value of community safety and is proactively taking steps to limit potential social spreading of COVID-19. To accommodate social distancing recommendations, the Planning & Development Services Center is committed to providing services remotely while its physical location is closed. A phased approach to reopening facilities is being developed and updates will be posted as we know more.
We are working to design a better future for us all!
Thank you for visiting the City of Boulder Planning & Development Services (P&DS) Department.
2020 has been a year of change and transition. In addition to responding to community needs during COVID-19 and reducing staff levels due to revenue shortfalls related to the pandemic, P&DS staff are working to optimize business processes to improve the customer experience. We know that you have been impacted too.
In the coming months, P&DS staff teams will be participating in intense work efforts designed to build new business processes. Prioritizing this important work will impact our services standards in the short-term, but will lead to long-term benefits, including increased efficiency, improved customer service and cost savings.
We are asking for your patience during this time as we explore bold and transformational ideas. Thank you for understanding and for partnering with us to offer service excellence for an inspired future. We appreciate your understanding and patience in this difficult time and will continue to provide updates as we have more information about changes and implementation. We value your partnership and look forward to continuing to serve you and our community now and in the future.
Available Electronic Services
Applications for P&DS services are available online at our Applications and Forms database.
The City of Boulder recognizes the significant impact COVID-19 has had on the local business community. To support local business citywide while protecting customers and employees, the city has established this program to allow businesses to expand their space outdoors. This program streamlines the permitting process for businesses reopening under the state’s order. The program includes several pieces:
- Temporary Outdoor Expansion Program
- Curbside Pick-Up Zone Program
- Boulder Business Recovery Program: Temporary Outdoor Events for Private Property
Visit the Boulder Business Recovery webpage to learn more.
As part of Planning and Development Services’ commitment to provide exceptional service to our customers during the COVID-19 pandemic, expiration dates for all P&DS applications and permits are being extended for 180 days. This extension applies to all applications, including Tec Docs, LURs, AURs and building permits and it applies to time frames between inspections. The extension does not apply to Temporary Certificates of Occupancy. Enforcement cases are being reviewed on a case by case basis, taking safety into consideration.
Applicants and permit holders do not need to take any action for the 180 day extension to be effective.
Single Trade Permits
Single trade permits may be submitted online through the customer self- service portal and are generally processed by the following business day. If you are the homeowner and plan to complete the work on your own, please contact us at [email protected] to request a homeowner/contractor license prior to applying for a permit.
Single Trade Permits include:
- Fence and Wall
Permit applications include but are not limited to the following
Refer to the Online Permit Application Guide for information about how to submit the following
- Initial application
- Revision to a previously approved scope of work
All inspections should be requested through the Customer Self-Service Portal and will be facilitated in the order received. Once requested online, please do not contact staff. An inspector will contact you to coordinate details, including scheduling the day and time of your inspection. Inspections may be performed on-site, using remote video (virtual) methods or postponed depending on the ability to be performed safely - including social distancing and other health protocols. Our inspectors will work with you to keep your project progressing.
Essential utility services inspection requests should be submitted to [email protected] and a Right-of-Way inspector will contact you to arrange for inspections using virtual or other methods.
- Electronic Submittal deadline for case creation
- Application forms must be emailed to the Project Specialist at [email protected] for case creation by 10 am on the business day prior to the final application deadline to be included for review
- Fee payment and file upload deadlines
- Fees (if applicable) must be paid and files must be uploaded through the customer self- service portal by the published application deadline to be included for review
- Applications and materials submitted after the published deadline will be routed on the next available review track
- Development Review Track
- Historic Preservation
- See Landmark Alteration Certification application for application deadlines
- Board of Zoning Adjustment (BOZA)
- See BOZA application for application deadlines
Development Review and Plan Case applications include, but are not limited to:
- Administrative Review
- Land Use Review
- Technical Document Review
- Historic Preservation
- Public Process Flood and Permits
- Temporary Outdoor Events
Refer to the Electronic Submittal Requirements for Development Review/Plan case for additional information about how to subit the following:
- Initial Application
Posting Notice Signs
If you are required to have a posting sign, your case manager will notify you via email or telephone subsequent to the submittal of your application. Per the city’s code, posted notice must meet certain standards. Please see Development Review Posting Signs Instructions .
The Planning & Development Services Licensing team has adjusted our process during this time to accept applications by email for Rental Housing Licensing.
- During the COVID-19 pandemic, Rental Licenses on occupied properties are being extended for 180 days for rental inspections
- In-home inspections of occupied rental units are allowed when following proper safety protocols and access is coordinated between landlords and tenants. An extension to submit your inspection is automatic to accommodate requests of tenants to postpone an inspector entering their home
- To remain in compliance, submit application paperwork by your expiration date to [email protected] and submit an inspection report within the 180-day extension
- The rental license handbook and applications are available at our Applications and Forms database
- Visit our Rental Housing Licensing page for more information
- Email [email protected] with any questions
The Planning & Development Services Licensing team has adjusted our process during this time to accept new license applications by email for Contractor Licensing. RENEWALS ARE NOW AVAILABLE on the customer self- service portal
- Submit new application paperwork by email to [email protected]
- Renewals are available within 30 days of expiration on the customer self- service portal
- Submit updated insurance forms by email to [email protected] or upload to the customer self- service portal
- The contractor license packet and applications are available at our Applications and Forms database
- Visit our Contractor License page for more information
- Email [email protected] with any questions
If you have received a notice of violation, please contact the code compliance specialist whose contact information is listed on the notice.
Our web page contains information and FAQs . Customers are encouraged to use this resource as a first step in getting their general questions answered. If you are unable to find the answer to your questions contact a project specialist at [email protected] or 303-441-1880 and receive a response within a few days.
I Want To
Planning & Development Services (P&DS) Center
***Many Planning & Development Services are available online. We encourage you to use our online services on this webpage and through the customer self-service portal.***
- Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Tuesdays: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The P&DS Services Center is currently closed to the public and online submittals are being accepted for all work. Questions may be emailed to [email protected] for the quickest response. We will update our availability for when offices are able to safely re-open.
1739 Broadway, Third Floor
Boulder, CO 80302
General questions: 303-441-1880
Online Customer Self-Service Portal
You can use the online Customer Self-Service Portal to:
- Check the status of your application
- Pay select fees
- Access rental and contractor licensing information
- Request inspections or view daily inspection schedule
- Fill out select applications online