Know Your Property

There are many resources available to help you to find property information.

Zoning, Permitting and Property Information Resources

Customers are encouraged to use the Planning and Development Services Virtual Advisor as a first step in getting their general questions answered.

Before you apply for a building permit, you first need to determine:

  • if your property is a:
    • multifamily or commercial structure; or
    • single-family dwelling, duplex or townhome;
  • what additional information you need to know about your property;
  • if you need to hire a contractor; and
  • if you need an allocation.

Search for Property Information

Find Property Information by Address

Go to the Property Search by Address page.

The following information is available:

  • Property Report
  • Enforcement Summary Report

Interactive map

To obtain a report on a parcel, go to eMapLink and search by address.

  • Enter an address into the Search tool, the map will zoom to the entered address.
  • Click on the Parcel at or near the address. A popup window will appear with the selected Parcel information.
  • Select the Property Report link to view the report.

The following types of information is available on the map:

  • Enforcement summary
  • Permit information is not available directly in the map, it is in the Property Report.

*Note that Zoning information, as well as Historic Districts, Development Review Cases, and many more types of information display can be toggled in the map's layers.

Customer Self-Service Portal

  • Go to EnerGov CSS and click on "Records Search"
  • Type the specific address, and select what kind of report you would like, or leave the default of "All". The following types of report are available:
    • Permit
    • Plan
    • Inspection
    • License

*Note that registered and logged in users are able to view certain sensitive information pertaining to cases that is not available to guest users in EnerGov CSS.

Development review case information

Types of Property Information

Use the Maps and Property Information to get the following details regarding your property.

Zoning district

The zoning district that your property is located in determines restrictions for building on your lot, such as the maximum height, minimum setbacks, and allowed solar shading. Once you have determined which zoning district your property is located in, you can visit the City of Boulder's Land Use Regulations for more information about restrictions that may impact your property.

Previous reviews and approvals

Many properties in the City of Boulder have had previous reviews and approvals by the Planning Department. These reviews may have significant impacts on your redevelopment plans. Before doing any design work, we strongly encourage you to determine if there are existing reviews and approvals that apply to your project.

Land survey information

For projects ranging from small accessory structures and additions to new construction, it is necessary to obtain accurate survey information to determine the boundaries of your lot. Use the Land Survey Information Handout for assistance in understanding the various survey products.


Any construction within the 100-year floodplain area requires a floodplain development permit. The applicant must determine whether their property is in the floodplain, and if it is, which flood zone. This should be determined before doing any design work. New building construction, substantial improvements and substantial damage must satisfy all flood protection regulations. For residential properties, this means that the floor must be at least two feet above flood elevations.

To apply, fill out and submit the Floodplain Development Permit Application form. For more about floodplain mapping and additional information, go to the Floodplain Development page.


Learn more about Wetland and Stream Basics, and the city's Stream, Wetland and Water Body Protection Ordinance. You can also find Evaluation Summaries for Individual Wetlands on or near your property by following the steps outlined on the Wetland Permits page.

Potential mass movement hazard (steep slope)

Any property located within the "Potential Mass Movement Hazard" area of the Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan - Geological Development Constraints Map (Pendelton Map) is subject to additional submittal requirements at the time of building permit application. This includes a soils report and a grading/drainage plan prepared by a Colorado licensed, professional engineer.

Historic Preservation

Design Review for Designated Properties: Exterior changes to designated properties, including roofing and fences, requires review from the historic preservation program through a Landmark Alteration Certificate and the work must meet the applicable design guidelines. Visit Historic Preservation Design Review for information on the process.

Demolition Review for Non-Designated Buildings Over 50 Years Old: Historic preservation review is required for demolition applications for all non-designated buildings over 50 years old to determine whether the building may be eligible for landmark designation. Visit Historic Preservation Demolition Review for information on the process.

Legal descriptions

Other information required by Boulder County:

  • Legal Descriptions, including lot, block, subdivision, section, township and range, are required on all permit applications. This information can be found on your property tax assessment statement. To obtain this information, go to the Boulder County Assessor's website or call 303-441-3530.