Water, Wastewater, Stormwater & Flood Management

The Utilities Department's functions include water treatment and distribution, water resources and hydroelectric management, wastewater collection and treatment, stormwater collection and conveyance, water quality protection and enhancement, construction and maintenance and infrastructure planning.

Utility Billing

Charges for water, wastewater and flood control services are billed to Boulder Utility customers each month. Customer billing dates are determined by the area of town where the customer's property is located and when the meter is read. All payments are due within ten days after receiving a utility bill.

Pay Your Utility Bill

Pay Online

Go to the MyBoulderUtilityBill Portal to:

Pay By Mail

The city uses a third-party vendor to securely process paper checks.

  1. Fill Check and Payment Stub

    Write your account number on the memo line of your check and include the payment stub in the return envelope provided

  2. Mail Your Payment

    City of Boulder Utility Billing Office
    P.O. Box 734774
    Dallas, TX 75373-4774

Pay By Phone

  1. Call Us


  2. Pay

    Pay by credit or debit card or ACH/bank account over the phone

  3. Hours of Operation


Pay By Text Message

  1. Log In or Register
  2. Don't Miss a Payment

    Set up text message bill payments and request automatic reminders

Contact the Office

  1. Phone


  2. Hours of Operation
    • Monday - Wednesday: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
    • Thursday: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
    • Friday: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Payment Drop-Off

Deposit your bill in the Utility Billing drop-box, located on the north side of the Municipal Building at 1777 Broadway.

Financial Hardship

In case of financial hardship, contact the Utility Billing Office to request arrangements for an extended payment term.

  1. Contact the Utility Billing Office

    Request arrangements for an extended payment term

  2. Utility charges are the liability of the property owner

    If unpaid, water service may be discontinued. Utility Billing staff will work with you to help maintain your water service during periods of financial hardship.


The Utilities Department is resuming its standard collections process, including shut-offs related to non-payment of water bills. The collections process has been on pause since March 2020, when the COVID-19 pandemic emerged in our community. This shift is in line with other utilities in the region that have resumed collections in their communities over the past year.

Be sure to check your water utility bill for overdue balances. Key items to note:

  1. Avoid fees and water service disruptions. If you have not looked at your account in a while, now is a good time.
  2. If you have an overdue balance, there are a few ways to pay. The quickest is our automated phone system or online. Call directly at 888-601-3012.
  3. Our billing office is also available to help at 303-441-3260. Due to the anticipated high volume of calls, you may prefer to use one of the automated systems first.
  4. We can also work with you to set up a payment plan.
  5. If you cannot get through on the phones, email UTB@bouldercolorado.gov. Please include your account number and phone number.
  6. Property owners, please be sure to alert your tenants to check their bills if they are responsible for utility payments.

Financial Hardship Community Support

Many local organizations are directly helping our community by offering assistance to community members experiencing financial challenges due to the pandemic.

Start or Stop Water Service

Service turn on/off

  • Use the Service Turn On/Off form on the customer billing portal.
  • Once you stop your service, you will receive one final meter reading and final bill.
  • There is a fee for final water meter readings.

Property transfer

  • For property being sold in the City of Boulder, a final water meter reading should be requested by the title company handling the transaction.
  • To request a final meter reading, you can complete a Property Transfer Form.
  • Please email the completed form to utb@bouldercolorado.gov.
  • There is a fee for final water meter readings.

Water turn-off for maintenance

  • Contact Utilities Maintenance at 303-441-3260 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday (until 3 p.m. on Thursday) for assistance turning off residential or commercial water service for maintenance reasons.
  • If you have an emergency and need water turned off after hours, please call 303-441-3200.

Request a Leak Adjustment

Prepare Your Documentation

  • The water leak adjustment request and documentation of repairs must be received within ninety (90) days of the due date listed on the customer's utility bill for the period in which the leak occurred.
  • Submission of a water leak adjustment request does not guarantee an adjustment will be made to the account.
  • You must submit proof of repair (such as plumber’s bill, receipt for parts, etc.) for the adjustment request to be processed.
  • If proof of repair cannot be provided, water consumption must have returned to normal use the following month, and a written statement detailing the steps taken as proof of investigation must be provided and attested to by the account holder or agent.
  • Adjustments are limited to two consecutive months and a maximum of three adjustments per property and same account holder.
  • Adjustments may not be approved for seasonal usage such as gardening, filling swimming pools, or washing vehicles; or for situations such as theft, vandalism or negligence.

Submit an Online Request

Leak Adjustment Frequently Asked Questions

This amount is variable depending upon the specific account circumstances. Generally, the consumption amount related to the leak - or excess water - is billed at a lower, “Block 2” (base) rate but is not erased entirely. This adjustment will lower the total amount owed but will likely not resemble a normal bill had the leak not occurred. Leak adjustments only apply to excess water consumption and do not apply to monthly service charges or fees.

Because of billing cycles, you may see leak adjustment impacts over the course of one or two bills depending upon when the adjustment is made.

The city’s policy is to adjust a maximum of two consecutive bills to allow for time for the problem to be detected and repairs made. An overall maximum of three adjustments per account and per property are allowed over the life of an account.

Water bills are divided into five Blocks to encourage efficient water use. Block 1 is the lowest, discounted rate to encourage water conservation. “Block 2” covers the cost of delivering water through the water treatment and delivery system. Blocks three, four and five are charged at higher rates to reflect consumption amounts over the allotted water budget. More information on water budgets, including water budget adjustments, can be found on the Utilities website.

A signed water leak adjustment form with supporting documentation is required. Invoices and receipts associated with the repair are the preferred forms of documentation. Within the bounds of reasonability, other supporting documentation can include receipts, photos, written explanations of the repair made.

Contact Utility Billing Customer Service by email at UTB@bouldercolorado.gov, or call 303-441-3260.

Monthly Water User Charges

Occasional utility rate increases are necessary to cover rising operating costs and construction costs associated with replacing or upgrading aging utilities infrastructure. In addition, new regional, state and federal regulatory requirements for upgraded treatment processes also increase utility costs.

Utility revenue increases are considered by City Council in October of each year as part of the citywide budget process. Rates are set so that sufficient revenues are generated to support operations, maintenance and improvements for each of the city utilities.

The rate structure is based on "water budgets", or the amount of water that you are expected to use during a specific month. Each customer's water budget will be different based on their unique water needs, as well as their past usage levels. To learn more about how these are determined, or to request an adjustment, please see Water Budget Adjustments.

Quantity Charges/1,000 Gallons (apply to all customers)

BlocksBlock RatesBlock Size
(percent of monthly water budget)
Block 1 $4.840% - 60%
Block 2 $6.4561% - 100%
Block 3 $12.90101% - 150%
Block 4 $19.35151% - 200%
Block 5 $32.25Greater than 200%

Service Charges

Meter SizeInside CityOutside City
1 1/2"$66.86$100.28

The city uses an increasing block-rate structure. As the amount of water use increases and moves into the next block, the cost per thousand gallons increases.

Bulk Water Service Charge = $10 per month

Bulk Water & Metered Hydrant Rate = $11 per 1000 gallons per month

Hydrant Meter Service Charge = $189.32 per month inside city / $283.99 outside city

Miscellaneous Charges

Description for FeesMiscellaneous ChargesFee
Disconnect FeeTo terminate water service$50.00
Final Notice FeeTo mail water service termination notice$27.00
Meter Removal FeeTo remove water meter$105.00
Meter Reset FeeTo reset water meter$87.00
Reconnect FeeTo resume water service$53.00
After Hours Reconnect Fee To resume water service after 3 p.m., on weekends or on holidays$121.00
Special Read FeeSpecial meter reads and final bill meter reads$50.00
Meter Test FeeTo test meter (if meter is inaccurate, fee will be refunded)$50.00

Monthly Wastewater User Charges

Quantity Charges / 1,000 Gallons

Inside CityOutside City

Service Charges

Meter SizeInside CityOutside City
1 1/2"$61.25$91.88

Average Winter Consumption (AWC)

The wastewater quantity charges for residential customers are billed using actual water use or Average Winter Consumption (AWC), whichever is less. AWC means the average water use per month during the most recent December through March time period. Non-residential customers are billed for wastewater quantity charges based on actual use or indoor water budget allocation depending on their selected water budget option.

Monthly Stormwater and Flood Management Fees

Owners of single-family dwellings within the city limits will pay the following monthly stormwater fees (including service charge).

Size of ParcelFee
Up to 15,000 square feet$27.11
15,000 to 30,000 square feet$32.79
30,000 square feet or more$38.50

The fee for all non-single-family dwellings is individually calculated based on impervious square feet, for a total charge not less than $17.54

Stormwater service charge is $4.35

Impervious Square foot rate is $0.01 per square foot

Well Water

The city does not charge the customer for well water. Some customers get their water from a well and are sewer only customers, using the city’s wastewater service from the city. If a customer receives a water bill that has charges, then they are receiving city water. Information about individual wells, including certification, can be found on the County Assessor’s website.

Request a Utility Billing Name Change


To request an account name change, please complete and submit the Utility Billing Account Name Change Request form and upload an applicable document.


Acceptable documents include:

  • Final Divorce Decree
  • Court-approved name change document
  • Quitclaim deed

The document can be uploaded directly via the form.

Request a Water Budget Adjustment


The Utility Billing Office will grant water budget adjustments under certain circumstances, outlined below. If you feel that any of the below circumstances apply to you, please complete the appropriate water budget adjustment application form below and submit any required documentation.

Be sure to read the entirety of the form before sending it in. If your adjustment is approved, it will become effective the date the city received it.

Please note: The information provided in your application form could be subject to verification by other city departments.

  1. Water budgets can be adjusted for the following reasons
    • Number of people in household (Single-family residential accounts only): Water budgets for single-family residential customers are calculated assuming four people per household. If you have more than four people living in your household year round, you can apply for an adjustment. Your monthly water budget will increase by 1,000 gallons per person for each additional person in the residence. Please include the number of people living in the household and the first and last names of each person on the form. The adjustment application for number of people in household must be submitted by either the property owner or property manager. This type of adjustment expires one year from the adjustment licenses, leases or other records that show the number of persons per household as additional documentation.
    • Medical needs: If a medical need requires a significant increase in the amount of water being used, please submit verification from your healthcare provider. All medical information will be kept confidential.
    • Licensed in-home childcare or eldercare facility or co-op: If a residential dwelling is being used as a licensed childcare, eldercare facility or co-op, then you can apply for an adjustment.
    • Irrigable area square footage (e.g., landscaping): Irrigable area of the property is used to calculate water budgets for outdoor watering needs.
    • If you have made significant changes to your landscaping or feel that your irrigable area is incorrect, then you can apply for an adjustment.
    • If you irrigate an area that you are required to maintain in the public right-of-way that is 200 to 300 square feet or more, then you can apply for an adjustment.
    • The adjustment application for irrigable area must be submitted by either the property owner or the property manager. Please check your property as illustrated on the city’s map to determine the current irrigable area.
    • View water and stormwater area map
    • HOA Adjustments: If a Homeowner Association (HOA) is requesting an adjustment, then the HOA must provide a signed written agreement (between HOA and homeowner) or by-laws which state irrigation responsibilities.
    • Number of dwelling units (Multifamily residential accounts only): Water budgets for multifamily residential customers are based on the number of dwelling units and bedrooms/unit in the building. If you feel that the number of dwelling units for your building is incorrect or if you have more than two bedrooms in any of your units, you can apply for an adjustment.
  2. Your water budget will not be adjusted for any of the following reasons
    • Evaporative (swamp) coolers, pools, spas, or hot tubs;
    • Gardens; and
    • In-home businesses or hobbies that use an increased amount of water.


Commercial/industrial/institutional (CII) customers can now choose from two water budget options. Each CII account will only be able to change budget options once per year. If you are submitting an adjustment, please carefully read the appropriate adjustment form and include the required documentation.

  1. Historical Monthly Use (HMU )

    The HMU budget is calculated using a rolling three-month average for each individual month. For example, the average of the past three January's use would be next year's January budget.

  2. AWC with Irrigation

    The AWC with Irrigation budget is similar to the single-family budget in that it is comprised of both an indoor water allocation and an outdoor water allocation.

Water Budgets Explained

The City of Boulder has a water rate structure that uses "water budgets", or the amount of water that you are expected to use during a specific month. Each customer's water budget will be different based on their unique water needs, as well as their past usage levels.

Water budgets may vary monthly based on seasonal outdoor watering needs. No matter what your water budget is, you will only be billed for the water you use. View water budget rules (PDF).

Water budgets help promote water conservation. If you stay within your budget, you pay less for the water you use. If you exceed your budget, you pay more for the water you use.

Your utility bill includes a graph that shows your monthly water use compared to your monthly water budget. This graph will show whether your actual water use was above, below or equal to your monthly water budget.

Access your water budget, usage statistics and pay your bill online at MyBoulderUtilityBill . If you have questions about your water budget, contact Utility Billing. View water budget frequently asked questions (FAQs).

The water budget only applies to water-use charges and does not include other costs such as wastewater, stormwater, other fees, etc.

Know Your Water Meter

Locate your water meter

Water meter pits are typically located in the area between the sidewalk and street (called the right-of-way), or 1.5 feet from the sidewalk. The pits are covered by round metal lids marked with a "Water Meter" imprint.

Water meter readings

The City of Boulder collects water meter readings from radio transmitters installed in or near the meter pits. City vehicles equipped with mobile data collection systems receive the signals while driving past the meter pits. Each transmission takes 1/30 of a second, with a typical operating range of 500 feet, depending on broadcast signal and location.

Maintain access to your water meter

Obstacles that may block the radio signals include building materials, foliage and metal objects located between the street and the meter pit. Therefore, it is very important that customers maintain clear access to their water meters from the public right-of-way.

As part of the city code, all city water customers are responsible for the upkeep of the area between their meter pit and the street. Please assist us by trimming foliage and by clearing snow and ice from the lid of the meter pit. Landscaping or fencing should be kept at least 1-3 feet from the meter pit.

Maintain access to your water meter to assist us with:

  • Emergency shutoffs (for frozen pipes) when you are away from home or are unable to turn off the water yourself; and
  • Emergency water meter maintenance.

If you do not maintain access to your water meter pit, it may delay emergency response times and end up costing you (and the city) more money.

Water Meters in Mobile Home Parks


  1. Mobile home park owners

    The City of Boulder classifies mobile home parks as multifamily residences and bills mobile home park owners monthly. Each park receives a water budget based on indoor and outdoor allocations, such as the number of homes served and the amount of landscaped area. The indoor allocation for each residential dwelling unit is set at 4,000 gallons per month. This allocation is adjusted seasonally to account for varying monthly water requirements. Utility accounts are charged a higher rate for water when they exceed their water budget.

  2. Individual mobile home owners

    Park owners are responsible for determining how to charge park residents for utilities. Residents are encouraged to refer to their lease for information about utility related charges. The city does not provide metering for individual mobile homes or provide individual bills.

Parks served by City of Boulder

  • Boulder Meadows
  • Mapleton
  • Vista Village
  • Orchard Grove
  • Ponderosa

The following parks are located outside of city limits but receive their drinking water from the city through special agreements:

  • Columbine

Parks not listed are outside of the city and have their own water sources which are regulated by the Boulder County Public Health Department and the Colorado Department of Health and Environment.

Reporting leaks

Mobile home park owners are responsible for repairing any leaks that occur between the city water meter and the individual homes. Homeowners of a mobile home are responsible for finding and repairing leaks within their home. Tips on how to find and fix a leak can be found at the city's Finding and Fixing Leaks webpage.

Leaks between the city water meter and outside of individual homes should be reported to the management of the park. If the park owner fails to repair a leak in a timely manner, they may be in violation of city ordinances. Leaks that are not addressed by the park owner in a timely manner should be reported to the city. To report a leak, please call 303-441-3200.

For all other urgent water issues please 303-441-3200 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday-Friday. After hours, weekends and holidays please call 303-441-3200 and it will forward to the appropriate staff. Please ALWAYS call the listed phone numbers to report a leak and do not report via Inquire Boulder. This system is not designed to manage urgent and emergency service requests and is NOT monitored 24-7. The city will need specific information about the location of the problem and any associated evidence so that it can be quickly investigated.

Water quality

Residents of parks that are served by City of Boulder water can obtain water quality information at the city's Drinking Water Quality website, sending an email to drinkingwater@bouldercolorado.gov or calling 303-413-7350.

Mobile home parks served by providers other than the city Utilities Department can obtain water quality information through Boulder County Health Water Quality and/or Colorado Department of Health Water Quality.

Pipe maintenance

Each park has one or more water service lines that connect to an adjacent city water main. The piping that delivers water from the property line to individual homes is privately owned and maintained by the park owner.


  • Park residents are encouraged to review their lease or contact their park owner to determine how they are billed for drinking water. If you live in a park where each unit has a water meter read by the owner, you may be able to reduce your bill through more efficient use in your unit.
  • Information about the city's water conservation program and available services is available on the city's Water Conservation website.
  • In parks where the owner determines costs through other methods, residents may be able to work with park owners to improve efficiency of overall water use in the park to reduce costs.

Contact Us


  • Utility Billing
  • All Other Utilities Questions