Open Space and Mountain Parks
Boulder's Open Space & Mountain Parks (OSMP) are a very special place. The open space lands teem with native plants and wildlife and are home to threatened and endangered species. They serve as a buffer between Boulder and nearby development. They sustain agriculture uses and add untold benefits to the natural environment - clean air, water, and earth.
The lands shape the urban mosaic of the Boulder Valley and provide citizens with passive recreation opportunities. Trails are used by walkers, hikers, bicyclists, horseback riders, dog walkers and other passive recreational uses.
- Chautauqua open house 6/28: Come learn about pedestrian safety, access and lighting improvements at Chautauqua during an open house from 4 to 7 pm on Tuesday, June 28. View more information about this event.
- Chapman Drive and Tenderfoot Trails closed: The trails are closed into fall 2016 to repair erosion damage on Chapman Drive from the Sept. 2013 floods. View more information about the closure.
- Watch out for rattlesnakes: Rattlesnakes, which are an important part of the prairie ecosystem, are emerging from their winter dens. Be on the lookout for them, give them a wide berth and be mindful of where your dog is on the trail.
- OSMP's 2015 annual report: Watch a video to see highlights of what Open Space & Mountain Parks' employees, the Open Space Board of Trustees, volunteers and our community accomplished in 2015. View the video.
- Several trails are closed for longer-term projects: Please see the temporary closures page for details on the following closures:
- East Boulder/White Rocks Trail bridge closed
- Boulder Falls Trail closed
- Anemone Hill closed - a portion of the trail is temporarily open for out and back use only
Featured Projects & Pages
OSMP is working on the North Trail Study Area (TSA) Plan. Learn more about the plan and how you can participate in the process.
View OSMP’s new Osprey camera. Get a glimpse into the lives of a pair of Osprey nesting on OSMP. Watch them begin nesting, feeding and raising their young.
OSMP is working on the Agricultural Resources Management Plan. Learn more about the plan.
Information on how to register for the Voice and Sight Tag Program or renew your dogs' Voice and Sight Tags for 2016.
View trails that take visitors to locations that offer views of Boulder peaks and the City of Boulder’s southern open space.
Information and instructions to obtain wood that is available to the public and a calendar showing wood availability.
OSMP is working with NIST to designate a trail system for visitor access and use in the NIST Protected Area.