Open Space and Mountain Parks
Boulder's Open Space & Mountain Parks (OSMP) are a very special place. The open space lands teem with native plants and wildlife and are home to threatened and endangered species. They serve as a buffer between Boulder and nearby development. They sustain agriculture uses and add untold benefits to the natural environment - clean air, water, and earth.
The lands shape the urban mosaic of the Boulder Valley and provide citizens with passive recreation opportunities. Trails are used by walkers, hikers, bicyclists, horseback riders, dog walkers and other passive recreational uses.
Current Trail/Trailhead Closures
- Muddy trail closures effective March 28: Trails in the Marshall Mesa, Greenbelt Plateau, Flatirons Vista, Doudy Draw and Springbrook areas, and the Left Hand Trail from Boulder Valley Ranch to Neva Rd are closed because of muddy conditions. View more information about the muddy trail closures.
- Red Rocks area trails open, off-trail travel prohibited: Trails in the Red Rocks area are now open, but off-trail travel is prohibited while vegetation recovers from the Sunshine Fire.
- Lion's Lair parking area closed: The parking area is temporarily closed for clean up after an accident.
- NCAR Bear Canyon, Mesa trail repairs and closures: NCAR Bear Canyon Trail and portions of the Mesa Trail are closed. Find closure details at bearcanyon.org.
- East Boulder/White Rocks Trail bridge closed
- Boulder Falls Trail closed
South Mesa/Shadow Canyon South repair project open house: OSMP will host an open house about Mesa Trail and Shadow Canyon South repairs from 5 to 7 pm Wednesday, April 5, at OSMP’s Administration Building, 66 S. Cherryvale Road. During this repair project, different sections of trails in the South Mesa Trailhead area and the trailhead will be closed most weekdays from mid-April to late October. Go to OSMPProjects.org to learn more.
Boulder County fire ban enacted March 15: View more information on the fire ban.
Chautauqua Park improvements: Efforts to improve safety and accessibility at Chautauqua Park will begin on Monday, Dec. 26. Learn more.
Featured Projects & Pages
Summer jobs for teens! The Junior Ranger Program engages teens on OSMP to serve, discover and grow! Currently recruiting for all positions.
View OSMP’s Osprey camera. Get a glimpse into the lives of a pair of Osprey nesting on OSMP. Watch them begin nesting, feeding and raising their young.
Information on how to register for the Voice and Sight Tag Program or renew your dogs' Voice and Sight Tags for 2017.
The City of Boulder has formed a working group that will review prairie dog management practices, and make recommendations to the city manager.
OSMP has designed a program to help visitors challenge themselves to hike all OSMP trails. Find tools to create your own personalized trail challenge!
OSMP is working on the Agricultural Resources Management Plan. Learn more about the plan.