Open Space and Mountain Parks
Boulder's Open Space & Mountain Parks (OSMP) are a very special place. The open space lands teem with native plants and wildlife and are home to threatened and endangered species. They serve as a buffer between Boulder and nearby development. They sustain agriculture uses and add untold benefits to the natural environment - clean air, water, and earth.
The lands shape the urban mosaic of the Boulder Valley and provide citizens with passive recreation opportunities. Trails are used by walkers, hikers, bicyclists, horseback riders, dog walkers and other passive recreational uses.
- All muddy trail closures lifted as of May 5
- Chapman Drive and Tenderfoot Trail closures beginning May 9: The trails will be closed from May 9 into fall 2016 to repair erosion damage on Chapman Drive from the Sept. 2013 floods. View more information about the closure.
- OSMP's 2015 annual report: Watch a video to see highlights of what Open Space & Mountain Parks' employees, the Open Space Board of Trustees, volunteers and our community accomplished in 2015. View the video.
- Grassland, ground-nesting bird closures began May 1: View more information on these closures.
- Prescribed burn south of Boulder: Boulder Fire Rescue and OSMP will resume an 85-acre prescribed burn on Shanahan Ridge starting as early as Friday, April 1. View more information about the burn.
- Several trails are closed for longer-term projects: Please see the temporary closures page for details on the following closures:
- East Boulder/White Rocks Trail bridge closed
- Boulder Falls Trail closed
- Anemone Hill closed - a portion of the trail is temporarily open for out and back use only
Featured Projects & Pages
View OSMP’s new Osprey camera. Get a glimpse into the lives of a pair of Osprey nesting on OSMP. Watch them begin nesting, feeding and raising their young.
OSMP is working on the North Trail Study Area (TSA) Plan. Learn more about the plan and how you can participate in the process.
The Junior Ranger Program engages teens on OSMP to serve, discover and grow! Currently recruiting for staff positions.
Information on how to register for the Voice and Sight Tag Program or renew your dogs' Voice and Sight Tags for 2016.
The 2016 Purge the Spurge will take place on Saturday, May 7, 2016 in conjunction with the Colorado Native Plant Society plant sale.
View trails that take visitors to locations that offer views of Boulder peaks and the City of Boulder’s southern open space.
OSMP is working on the Agricultural Resources Management Plan. Learn more about the plan.
Information and instructions to obtain wood that is available to the public and a calendar showing wood availability.
OSMP is working with NIST to designate a trail system for visitor access and use in the NIST Protected Area.